College Week comes to Millbrook

Representing her ideal school, senior Gabby Goodman shows her spirit with an ECU teddy bear. Millbrook’s Senior Week gives students the opportunity to show support for their favorite colleges as well as apply to them, too!

Jessica Urbanski

Jessica Urbanski, Editor In Chief

As a senior, the request for money seems to never end. From caps and gowns, yearbooks, graduation announcements, and other fees, it can become overwhelming. In addition to that, college applications can become pricey. Need some relief? CFNC’s College Application Week begins the following week, November 14-18.

Ms. Tarantiles, guidance counselor for last names Sm-Z, gave an explaination of upcoming College Application Week: “College Application Week is a North Carolina campaign run through CFNC.org and provides the opportunity for students to apply to college this week. All NC community colleges, many independent colleges, and a few public colleges waive their application fee so that students can apply for free.” In short, the main idea for Application Week is to give students the opportunity to apply for college without the hassle of fees and pressing dollar amounts in mind.

Schools will be accepting fee waivers for all students who qualify during this week. College Application Week is an opportunity to meet college admissions representatives and also work on the FAFSA and the financial aid process. Seniors will also be given the chance to understand the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and what this means to students and parents alike. The financial aid process sure is not an easy one, but with the help of Millbrook’s guidance counselors as well as administrators, the task is simplified.

Ms. Tarantiles also said, “At Millbrook, counselors reserve computer labs and work with the senior English teachers to make sure the students have access and time to fill out applications this week. We also normally wear college spirit wear as a way to promote college access opportunities.” During senior week, seniors are given the opportunity to work with their English teachers on college applications, because we all know those can be grueling. With assistance from those who went through the college application process, it will give some ease to stressed out seniors.

Later on in the year, Millbrook offers a fun way to celebrate acceptances into college with Senior Spirit week. This week is from May 15-19. Senior Spirit Week also prevails: teachers, students, and administration will be sporting their college spirit gear all through this week. Senior Chloe Cowden said, “I’m looking forward to College Sports Day the most because I have a passion for UNC basketball, and I have to show Millbrook who’s the best.” Monday is College Colors day so make sure to come out dressed in your favorite college’s school colors. On Tuesday, rep your favorite college team’s gear on College Sports Team Day. Make sure to grab a twin or two and get creative on Wednesday, because it is College Twin/Triplet day! Thursday is a competitive day, House Divided Day. Are you a fan of two rival teams? Come out wearing both NC State and UNC to show how your house is divided. Last, but certainly not least, is School Spirit Friday. On this day, students should go all out to show off their favorite school. In addition to dressing up, teachers around the school will be having door decorating contests, too. May the best door win!