Kevin Durant’s reshaping of the NBA

flickr.com

Unknowing of his future, a young Kevin Durant looks to make a play for the Thunder. Many fans will always associate the orange and blue jerseys with Durant after his 9 year stint in Oklahoma City.

Evan Houze, Sports Editor

The Golden State Warriors are coming into this year after breaking NBA regular season wins record at 73-9. Their star player and reigning league MVP, Stephen Curry shattered his previous single season 3-point record of 286 makes, dropping 402 at a 45.4 percent rate. Despite securing their names in the record books, the Warriors’ season did not end as planned. They went on to lose against LeBron James and the Cleveland Cavaliers 4 games to 3 in the NBA Finals. Summer was quite bitter in Oakland until July 4, when former MVP Kevin Durant departed Oklahoma City to play in the Bay Area. Durant’s departure in free agency was particularly shocking as he had played for the championship contending Thunder with superstar Russell Westbrook since 2008. The Oklahoma City Thunder organization and fanbase felt betrayed, but the Golden State Warriors are extremely excited. Signing a player ranked third in scoring per game in league history, behind only Michael Jordan and Wilt Chamberlain, would boost any team’s offense.  The Warriors need to prove fast that Durant can win a championship there as he only signed a 2 year 54.3 million dollar contract with a player option after the first year enabling him to test free agency again this upcoming summer.

Golden State currently has an insane 2/3 odds to win the 2017 NBA finals, meaning if you bet $1.50 in vegas you would only get $1.00 back if they won. Unlike past NBA super teams, whose personal did not fit well, the Warriors’ stars play in ways that complement each other perfectly. All-Star guards Stephen Curry and Klay Thompson predict to play well alongside Durant, as the three do not need the ball in their hands to impact the offense. The trio’s shooting prowess keeps defenders attached to them without the ball, opening the floor for teammates to get to the basket. All three have the ability to heat up and score a lot of points quickly, with third scoring option Klay Thompson holding a record of 37 points in a single quarter. With defensive minded, premier passing superstar Draymond Green playing the forward spot next to Durant, the Warriors quartet of star players forecast to play together extremely well. Sophomore Bradley Barnes said, “I think the Warriors are going to be a really good team, but Durant is going to average a lot less points per game then we’re used to.” The scoring statistics for all four players will almost undoubtedly drop, but after failing to become back-to-back champions, phenomenal player averages no longer satisfy this team.

With their four star players all 28 years old or younger, the Warriors appear as a dynasty in the making. Though coming off of a championship loss, the other contenders in the league’s stars are older and declining. Western conference rivals the Los Angeles Clippers and San Antonio Spurs both depend on aging stars in Chris Paul (31) and Tony Parker (34). Four time MVP LeBron James of the defending champion Cleveland Cavaliers turns 32 in December and showed many signs of slowing down last season. While there may be bumps in the path of becoming one of the best teams in league history, Golden State has a much larger window to win than older teams in the NBA as their stars are very young yet so experienced in playoff basketball. As long as no major injuries strike their star players, the Warriors appear to be a dynasty feared in the league for the next four to six years.