Latin Club

Provided by Ross Petersen

Participating in Latin Club’s Fall Forum event in Greensboro, last year members educate themselves more in Roman culture. The Latin Club goes to their Fall Forum this year on Saturday, October 29.

Alex McCloskey, Section Editor

Esse quam videri, meaning “To be, rather than to seem” in Latin, is the North Carolina state motto adopted in 1893. Latin was spoken in ancient Rome and was developed into a romance language. The Latin Club at Millbrook facilitates some of the most knowledgeable students partaking in Latin as their foreign language class. The advisor of this club is Mrs. Byrd.

There is diversity in the kinds of members that choose to take part in the club. “Latin Club is not just for Latin students; anybody who wants to learn more about ancient Roman culture and have fun can join,” says vice president and junior Ross Petersen. No matter what knowledge students have in Latin, they will be further informed in it. Some activities that the club has consists of a movie night, dinner at a restaurant, and Fall Forum.

Fall Forum is hosted by UNCG. This year it is taking place on Saturday, October 29. It occurs at UNC Greensboro campus. There is a competition in which teams compete against other schools to answer trivia questions in a jeopardy style. Members at a higher level in the club have been studying Roman culture and mythology, and they intend to do well in the competition this year. Lower level members will be ready to participate in a fun time and educate themselves further. Students in the Classics Department at Greensboro offer small classes to educate all of the high school students of various topics including: reenactments of myths, gladiator fights, chariot racing, discus, and music.

Being educated in Latin can range from history of where it was spoken to learning the language itself. Fortunately, Millbrook offers a variety of Latin classes, and this very useful and exciting after school activity. Students can no longer sign up this year, but can sign up next year on September 30, 2017.