The Conspiracy Column

The truth (or lack of) behind JFK’s assassination

Taken just minutes before his assassination, President Kennedy rides through the Dealey Plaza with his wife. Conspiracies surrounding Kennedy’s death have been around for nearly 50 years.

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org

Emma McDonald, Staff Reporter

The events that took place on November 22, 1963, made a drastic impact on America. Even a little more than 50 years after President Kennedy’s assassination, rumors are still flying around over what really happened on that infamous day.

Kennedy was struck by 2 bullets while riding in an open-top limo through the Dealey Plaza in Dallas. The trajectory of the bullets point to the 6 floor of the Texas School Book Depository, where alleged killer Lee Harvey Oswald was perched. Despite government officials finding that Oswald worked alone, more than half of Americans are skeptical, according to a 2003 poll. Multiple conspiracies arise on this such topic, ranging from a reasonable perspective to ones that would blow most people’s minds.

Trajectory of the bullets

If you know anything about forensics, you should know that it is possible to determine the trajectory of a bullet, or where it was shot from, based on the angles and severity of the puncture wound. Some say the trajectory of the bullets do not match up with where Oswald was standing. This is not proven, but the suspicion remains, and more questions arise from this spectacle; was Kennedy’s assassination more than a one-man job?

A Second Gunman

The theory of there being a second gunman is probably one of the more popular theories of Kennedy’s assassination. There are many possible suspects that fall under this category, one being Lyndon B. Johnson. Kennedy was accompanied by Johnson on their way into the Plaza, and he ducked right before the president was struck. The conspiracy behind Johnson is that he hired a hitman, Malcolm Wallace, to murder Kennedy. Johnson’s mistress, Madeleine Brown, repeated Johnson’s words the night of November 21, which bordered along the lines of him not having to deal with Kennedy snobs after tomorrow. Sophomore Jada Brinson commented on this theory: “It is interesting how there could have been a second person involved. Even though I do not know what to believe, each theory is interesting to read about.” Jada is just one of many people who enjoy digging into so some dirty conspiracies such as JFK’s death.

Umbrella Man

One of the more suspicious conspiracies revolves around a person known as the “Umbrella Man.” This man, as his name is unknown, was seen holding an umbrella the day of November 22 when not a cloud was in sight. Aside from this strange fact, the mystery man also lifted his umbrella high above his head and spun it as Kennedy’s limo approached. After Kennedy was shot, the man started walking to the Texas School Book Depository, where the shots apparently came from.

The truth behind Kennedy’s assassination may not ever surface, but one thing is for sure; he is not the first president to be assassinated. Abraham Lincoln, James A. Garfield, and William McKinley were all murdered by gunshot preceding Kennedy. Even after 4 presidential assassinations, it did not become a federal crime until 2 years after Kennedy’s death. However, conspiracy theories are just that, conspiracies. Even though the truth behind this tragedy may never be relieved, people all over continue to speculate what might have happened.