The Raleigh Christmas Parade

Early Christmas Season in the Triangle

Ushering in the holiday spirit, the Raleigh Christmas Parade is a yearly tradition that brings the joy of the holiday into the Triangle. Even though November has yet to end, the holiday spirit starts out strong in NC with this historic event.

youtube.com

Logan Powers, Photography Editor

Tomorrow, November 19, marks the 72nd annual Raleigh Christmas Parade. Hundreds of families who come out to enjoy the food, fun, and music help kick off the holiday season. Even though November may be early for a Christmas celebration, it still marks the blossoming of the Christmas spirit. The parade began back in 1939 with the early date chosen to start the shopping season and pull in the Christmas spirit. When World War II began, the parade was put on hold, but continued again in 1945. Since the beginning, people from all over our state come into the city to enjoy the wonder of the season.

Our very own  Millbrook students have been participants in the parade. The MHS marching band is a repeat performer in the parade. Participating in this performance takes countless hours of practice and patience. Junior Taryn Gillaspy said, “Honestly though, it’s a lot of fun because I love the people I do it with, and it’s really cool being able to show everyone in raleigh who we are.” Junior Cicely Panera, another member of the marching band added, “It’s really run to have a time where we can play for a whole bunch of people in Raleigh.”  Along with the marching band, students from CC and Company Dance, the MHS dance team, and other volunteer and performing groups will be a part of the parade. With the midway mark as the Capitol Building, the parade stretches over about 13 blocks and takes the performers down some of the busiest streets downtown.

Throughout the parade there are loving moments and memories being made. Junior Jennifer Paz recalls her favorite memory saying, “One of the things that I enjoyed as a kid at the Raleigh Christmas parade was the band that would play Christmas songs.” Throughout the event people from all over the Triangle make appearances to boost the holiday spirit and welcome the joy of the season. At the end of the parade, Santa Claus makes joins to incite cheer among the crowd and giving everyone in attendance the rush of excitement we feel only at this time of year. Throwing candy to the crowd and bring peace, and love, Santa ushers out the rest of the performers and wraps up the end of the event.

If you would like to attend, check out the parade website at grma.org and click the Christmas Parade tab for more details. You can also check them out of facebook for pictures and announcements about the event. You can also use the #RaleighParade. Even if you cannot take part in it, make sure to go out and support the parade. Television coverage of the parade begins at 10:00 on WRAL and is hosted by Bill Leslie and Renee Chou. Make sure to arrive early to get front row seats to the big show. 

Band