Sport of the Month

Wrestling

Being the only four year team member this season, senior Devin Taylor has the most Millbrook wrestling experience. This season’s team has a plethora of experience from the under and upperclassmen.

MHS Yearbook

Evan Houze, Sports Editor

Wrestling is yet another sport at which Millbrook High School strives for state championships season after season. Schools compete either in duals between two teams or tournaments between multiple squads. Matches between individuals are determined by weights taken an hour or so before competing. Weight classes differ from 6 to 9 pound intervals set by max weight, with 195, 220, and 285 pounds as the only largely spread groups. Millbrook’s team has players ranging anywhere from freshman Will Saby in the 106 pound class to senior Tyler Royal in the 285 pound group. Coaches are able to be very strategic because of a rule allowing athletes to compete in only one weight class above their own. The small weight class differentials cause the training for the sport to be extreme in and out of the gym. They build lean muscle by lifting weights, strength exercises, and running and carb-loaded diets. Normally, a wrestler’s goal is to be as strong as possible while weighing in the lowest class. Individual playing styles will differ the athlete’s physical goals. However, each member of the team trains relentlessly in order to succeed as a whole.

Wrestling is one entire team, so starters are considered varsity players and backups are the junior varsity players. Though losing 5 starting seniors including Crayton Saby and Liana Mutia to college and Olympic training respectively, the team still expects to compete for a state championship this season. Led by captain and senior starter Matt Engel, who wrestles in the 182 pound weight class, many other experienced players either returned or made their debuts for Millbrook this year. Coach Scott Saby said, “We will be led by a handful of returning letter winners, as well as many young members given the opportunity to compete for varsity weight classes. So this year we expect continued improvement in the classroom and on the mat.” That experience is expected to make a strong impact on the team. Engel posted 37 wins last year and qualified for the NCHSAA State Wrestling Tournament as well. Coach Saby’s youngest son, freshman Will Saby, has had years of wrestling experience, along with competing with the NC USA Wrestling team in Indianapolis this past summer against national competition. Seniors Ty Smith, Jarred Prather, and Devin Taylor, who is the only wrestler to be on the team since freshman year, all join Engel. Another senior, Tyler Royal, comes back after an injury plagued season last year hoping to make an impact. First year Millbrook Wrestlers freshman Ben Williard, junior Reshad Scott, and senior Dreysan Johnson all expect to get mat time. This combination of youth and experience has the entire coaching staff excited. After competing fairly well in the state championships last year, Millbrook Wrestling expects more improvement and excitement from their veterans and newcomers too.