Music Now

February Festivities

Singing her heart out is the six time Grammy nominated Jazz singer, Nnenna Freelon. She will be one of the many artists here in North Carolina for the Jazz Festival in Wilmington.

flickr.com

Kayla Mercer, Section Editor

February is known for its usual holidays and festivities, but did you know that our own state has music festivals week after week during the month of February?

Kicking off the month of festivities is the North Carolina Jazz Festival in Wilmington. The festival runs from February 2-4. The Jazz Festival creates an intimate environment that gives everyone the opportunity to meet-and-greet with the local and regional jazz artists. Several of the artists that will be attending include Nnenna Freelon and her trio, Sea Pans, Jonathan Russell, and Adrian Cunningham. This will be the 37th year of the Jazz Festival at the Hilton Wilmington Riverside.

Around the same time as the Jazz Festival, the Appalachian State Old Time Fiddlers Convention in Boone will be starting up on the third. This convention only lasts for 2 days. The Older Fiddlers Convention is holding competitions, an evening concert, jamming, workshops, and many more festivities. This will be the convention’s ninth year at the Appalachian State campus, the Plemmons Student Union, and Legends. As the Old Fiddlers Convention starts and wraps up, the Classic Rock’n’Roll Weekend in Asheville will begin on the third and end on the fifth. The mountain resort will focus on the sounds of the 60s and 70s.

Later in the month, the Neuse River Music Fest will begin on the tenth. As hosts of the fest, the Lenoir Community College Foundation is suppose to be focused on Bluegrass music, but the festival is making room for one or two country acts. This year, a band competition made the lineup. On the fifteenth, the Carolina Jazz Festival is in Chapel Hill. This festival at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is going to include performances by touring bands, local artists, and students. Workshops and master classes for the students will be included. This year will be the festival’s 40th year.

Last, but not least, will be Bluegrass First Class festival in Asheville. This is a hotel-based festival, and it is going to feature a main stage, a showcase stage, and room set just for picking and jamming. There are also bluegrass workshops and performances for kids. This year will be Bluegrass First Class’ 22nd year in the works.

Although none of the festivals are in Raleigh,  their locations  give you and your family time to have fun and also to visits colleges. Junior Zee Graham said, “I feel as though these festivals are going to be very entertaining, yet also give me an opportunity to visit some colleges that I want to apply to.” UNC Wilmington, Appalachian State University, UNC Asheville and UNC Chapel Hill are just some of the colleges near all of the lively festivities. To find out more about ticket prices and day to day activities visit www.carolinamusicfests.com.