Culture Collaboration

The Modern African Dancers sharing their culture

Posing+before+dancing+in+the+2016+International+Festival%2C+the+Modern+African+Dancers+enjoy+sharing+their+culture.+The+African+Student+Association+hopes+to+continue+growing+throughout+the+years+at+Millbrook.+

B. Dombasi

Posing before dancing in the 2016 International Festival, the Modern African Dancers enjoy sharing their culture. The African Student Association hopes to continue growing throughout the years at Millbrook.

Mikayla Davis, Staff Reporter

The Modern African Dancers, MAD, are all a part of the African Student Association. ASA was first started by Tobi Kalejaiye who graduated in 2014. Thanks to Beane Dombasi, Adanna Ilobachie, and Ms. Fonke, the club is back this year. The first meeting, as well as tryouts for MAD team, were held at the end of January. ASA is a very diverse group made up of members with unique backgrounds.

The dance team meets two to three times a week to prepare for upcoming competitions, as well as the International Festival. The team consists of Beane Dombasi, Adanna Ilobachie, Adja Ndiaye, Imani Anderson, Miracle Martin, Ijeoma Alaezi, Angel Osuaqwu, Dara Odumosu, Brianna Gonde, Andrica Pratt, Kelly Telombila, Tasia Danns, Jemima Madiba, and Tahlieah Sampson.

Together Beane and Adanna choreograph the dances for MAD. Beane said she dances because “It’s something that I know how to do well, and it’s fun. There’s other things to do but dancing makes me happy.” Beane began dancing at twelve years old after her cousins strongly encouraged her to. She plans to study business administration in college, then open her own dance studio. Junior Adanna Ilobachie describes African Dance as “very unique. There’s no other dancing style like it; it’s spontaneous and vibrant.”

Adanna began dancing at the age of ten. A group of her friends danced at parties of those in the Nigerian community for fun. “I love it so much its a good way to always improve, so it helps a lot,” Adanna describes her opinion on competing. She will be continuing the club as well as the team for the 2017-18 school year.

“I feel free. I feel like I get to just be myself and not care about anything and just let loose.” This is how senior Adja Ndiaye describes the way dancing makes her feel. She has been dancing for seven years now and started specifically African dancing three years ago. During her freshman year, a group of friends asked her to join their group to perform in the International Festival.

The team has put in a lot of hard work to put on an impressive performance at the International Festival and show students what Modern African Dance truly is. “I feel like the team is more solid this year, and we’re just gonna kill the stage, I’m excited,” said Beane Dombasi.