Creative Cats

Provided by K. Styll

Dancing with phenomenal technique, Kayla Styll has quickly shown herself as an incredible talent within the Millbrook arts community. Kayla is a dancer, singer, and guitar player with an amazing passion for music.

Laura Conoly, Features Editor

Everyone has the ability to create, but very few do it in such an advanced manner and start as young as freshman Kayla Styll. She has found ways to share her artistic ability, not only with Millbrook, but with the wider community through her passion for dance. Kayla is a devoted dancer and musician, not to mention a motivated student already on the fast track to being one of the most dedicated and productive members of the Millbrook family.

Kayla describes herself, above all else, as a dancer. She has been dancing with CC and Company for ten years. She has quickly advanced through the levels all the way to core, the most advanced group at CC and Company. She is experienced in tap, ballet, jazz, and hip-hop, and travels the country attending conventions and competing. Her favorite style of dance is tap because she loves being able to dance and create  music simultaneously. She has also shared her passion as the only freshman on the dance team at Millbrook. Kayla describes being on the dance team as something that has truly enhanced her Millbrook experience thus far and plans to continue it for the next three years. Along with dance team, Kayla is also a part of the intermediate dance class at Millbrook, a class normally reserved for sophomores. Kayla said, “I wish people knew dance is not just for fun;  it’s a great way to express yourself and let out all your stress, anger, happiness, whatever you may be feeling.”

Kayla has also found another way to pursue her love for music: chorus. The young musician has loved to sing her entire life and finally started her formal training in sixth grade at her middle school. She then auditioned for Millbrook’s Women’s Chamber chorus as a rising freshman and made it. Along with Women’s Chamber she also loves jamming out with her guitar- another one of Kayla’s many skills. Kayla had a close friend who was a veteran guitar player who introduced her to the instrument. Soon after, she picked one up herself and learned how to play. Exploring music through so many mediums is one of many reasons Kayla is so unique.

Kayla plans to continue sharing her amazing talents throughout high school by continuing to sing in the chorus, as well as dance. After high school, Kayla plans on attending college to become a journalist. Kayla has certainly made her mark on the arts community and will no doubt continue to do so for the rest of her time at Millbrook.