• 2 yearbooks left! $90! See Mrs. Putnam in room 1411.

The huskies dominate to 111

Sketching out a play, Coach Auriemma always maintains a calm and composed demeanor with his players. His consistent approach to the game has led to 11 national championships and counting.

flickr.com

flickr.com

Evan Houze, Sports Editor

Until Mississippi State’s Morgan William’s buzzer beater broke everyone’s brackets, UConn Women’s Basketball had not lost a game since 2014. 867 days, 111 victories. They absolutely dominated the women’s college basketball world, maintaining a seemingly monopolistic status. UConn’s success has not only led to championships, but arguably the most dominant winning streak in sports history. After beating their recently set record of 91 straight wins in January, the Huskies bested the streak by 20. Only 3 of their 111 victories, 23 more than the men’s record, were within double digits, including a 65 point blowout of South Florida. Half of their wins were of 40 points or more. They even shut SMU down to a 2 point quarter in their record-setting win. What UConn has accomplished the past few years is astounding.

Since Coach Geno Auriemma’s arrival in 1985, the team has won 11 national championships. They have never lost in a championship game under his watch; all of their Final Four exits came in the semifinals. six of those titles came off of undefeated seasons. UConn has an incredible 88.1 win percentage during Auriemma’s tenure, the best of any NCAA Women’s Basketball coach. He expects nothing but the best from his players year in and year out, always leading with a calm, consistent demeanor.  Missing the Final Four is considered ‘rebuilding’ for the Huskies as they have made it to the big weekend 18 times since 1995. Typically, UConn has been led by phenomenal players like Maya Moore, Breanna Stewart, and Diana Taurasi. A plethora of alumni call the WNBA home, including stars like Sue Bird and Swin Cash. Geno Auriemma is one of the greatest basketball coaches ever, boasting it with a plethora of NCAA records.

This season, the Huskies arrived at their 10th consecutive Final Four, six of which they won out. Nobody would have predicted Friday night’s heartbreaking loss to Mississippi State. Junior Quentin Angelini said, “I honestly thought UConn would keep this streak going for a couple more years. They’ve looked absolutely unbeatable; it’s amazing.” This will be a loss on the mind of Husky fans for year. However, next year’s squad will be out to avenge the loss and bring home another championship..