• 2 yearbooks left! $90! See Mrs. Putnam in room 1411.

Remembering the Subway under Cameron Village

Appearing as it was in May of 1975, the Village Subway was greatly popularized by The Pier and other restaurants within it. Today the Subway is sealed to the public and only two entrances remain to the abandoned underground.

flickr.com

flickr.com

Alex McCloskey, Section Editor

In Raleigh, there are various locations where people have always gone to hang out and socialize. One that stands out especially is Cameron Village. On September 16, 1971, the Subway opened beneath the streets of Cameron Village. In what used to be a bomb shelter during the Cold War, a huge crowd flooded to witness Tiny Tim perform. There were a handful of businesses located in the Subway throughout its existence, including The Pier, Bear’s Den, Elliot’s Nest, and Cafe Deja Vu. More than just Tiny Tim performed in this unique subway-styled shopping location. Notable artists include The Four Freshmen, Jimmy Buffett, R.E.M., and The Ramones.

The Subway was closed to the public in 1984 due to fire hazards and potential cave-ins. Just under the Cameron Village Regional Library is where the Subway was located. Fresh Market has one of the two remaining entrances today, which goes vertically down into the underground of the library next door. The other entrance is located in the back of the Party Store. The entrances that existed before were sealed off and are supposed to never be opened again. Though, on May 16 in 2015, before the entrances were sealed, the Village Subway was opened to the public one last time with high ticket prices. Junior Adam Wenzel said, “I do remember the Subway being opened to the public for a short while not too long ago, and if I recall correctly, my mom was able to get a ticket to go down there.”

The amount of work and development that has gone into making what Cameron Village is today is quite outstanding. When going around Cameron Village, there are a variety of different shops to choose from. The underground is as good as forgotten by most people who walk above what are now the catacombs of the Subway.

Cameron Village opened in 1949 with the owners never imagining how large it would become. By 1950, the village had 65 stores, a movie theatre, more than 600 homes and apartments, and over 100 business offices. It even began to decline Downtown Raleigh’s visitors because of the convenient parking it had. In 2001, everything was completely changed and improved with new technology and development in store. Today it houses hundreds upon hundreds of newly renovated homes and stores. It is even home to the first two-story Chick-fil-A of the franchise!