Wildcats, Be Aware!

Jalyn Chapman

While shooting the ball into the basket, sophomore, Jalyn Chapman shows her love for basketball. Committing to a sport comes with stressors, and student athletes need to know how to deal with it.

Kayla Mercer, Staff Reporter

According to the Center for Disease and Prevention, in 2009, 60% of high school students played on school-sponsored teams. Most of those students had higher GPAs than the other students at their school. Does that say something to you? Overall there are many pros and cons to being a student-athlete, but there are also many positive alternative ways to handle the stressors and pressures that come with it.

Student-athletes’ physical and mental capabilities are tested on a regular basis, from them being able to manage their stress to them doing well at practice or a game they may have. Keith A. Kaufman, the author of Understanding Student Athlete Burnout, said that parents and coaches are encouraging adolescents to become committed to a sport. The influence parents and coaches have on children and a teen is everlasting. This pressure could either affect them good or bad, causing them to feel obligated to do well at their sport or even to get a scholarship.  Jalyn Chapman, a sophomore and a player for our JV women’s basketball team, said, “Yes, at times I do feel pressured to get a scholarship, but I know my family and coaches only want to help me and make sure I fulfill my dreams.” Sophomore Kamren Scarboro-Jones, a JV football player, stated, “I feel obligated to get a scholarship because it’s what I love to do and I will always try hard to earn one.” As said, there are many positive stressors, but there also is a down side to it.

Being a student athlete means you need to have many other traits to know how to deal with your busy schedule. Time management is a major skill that student athletes need. An article written by Jean M. Keelan stated that time management is a needed trait that student athletes need to be successful on and off the field or court. Between practice and school, there may seem like there is no time to do homework or even hang out with friends. Therefore, many student-athletes need an alternative activity to help them through schoolwork and sports.  Jalyn Chapman of the JV women’s basketball team answered, “Other than basketball, I play guitar and make art.” Many student-athletes like Jalyn find ways to incorporate creative abilities to keep them level-headed to stay motivated. Without having an extracurricular activity, student-athletes may become stressed and tend to procrastinate. With this extracurricular activity, it may benefit the student and add to his athletic performance.

Committing to a sport on top of getting your education may be time consuming but beneficial. Overall, there are ways for student-athletes to manage the stressors of being such. In the end, it should be the positive experience that the athlete remembers, and not the stress that accompanies it.