The ever competitive cap-8

Running backs are key to a strong offense on any football team. Millbrook is blessed with three strong runners: J.J. Walker, Larry Rountree, and Basadar St. Phard.

Ahyonna Pitts

Evan Houze, Staff Reporter

In the running for claiming the Cap-8, Millbrook football is off to a great start to their season. So far this outing, Coach Inscore has won his 100th game, they have completed a shutout versus Enloe, and for another year the offense is being led by the ECU recruit Reid “Air” Herring. They have found their replacement after Marcus Marshall’s departure in junior running back Larry Rountree who has had some great games, one averaging 13 yards per carry and 2 touchdowns, then another game rushing for 204 yards and 4 touchdowns, incredible numbers. During the coach’s show, on Millbrook football’s website, hosted by Evan Moesta, some of Coach Inscore’s spoken criticism was that they needed to tackle better and need to finish off plays on the offensive and defensive sides of the ball. Some positives he referred to were that they have had people step up after injuries and the new offensive linemen coming in have been creating holes and playing well.

Coach Inscore also gave a lot of credit to the other teams in the conference, saying they cannot overlook them and that many teams are improved from last season. As most people closely following the Cap-8 know, Millbrook’s toughest competition and intimidation is Wake Forest, led by the 6’5”, 300 pound defensive tackle in Dexter Lawrence. Sanderson is also interestingly competitive this year with the conference’s leading rusher, according to maxpreps.com, in junior running back Jordan Logan. This conference is extremely competitive; however, sophomore defensive back Casey Carnavale, says, “I think we will definitely finish in the top three this year, with a good chance to have the best record when it is all over.” New Varsity kicker, sophomore Will Gentile, said, “I’m extremely excited to be a part of what we do this year and I hope my kicking has a positive impact on our play.” They have been playing well and playing together, and this team has a lot of potential for future seasons. After Reid departs to throw touchdowns in Greenville, sophomore Kenneth McCray seems to be a deserving successor at the quarterback position. Larry Rountree is just a junior this year, so an even more extraordinary season could be in store during his senior campaign. Sophomore Jayden Pauling is also a very interesting prospect, playing defensive line and tight end, standing at 6’3”, 206 pounds, and has been on the team since he was a freshman. The Cap-8 is scary good, and the Millbrook Wildcats are one of the scariest and most competitive teams to step on the field with.