It is never to early to prepare for college

+Even+though+preparing+for+college+is+a+long+and+bumpy+road%2C+once+you%E2%80%99re+handed+that+diploma+you+see+that+it+was+worth+it.+Having+resources+along+the+way+to+help+you+prepare+for+college+helps+you+in+the+long+run.+%0A

https://c2.staticflickr.com

Even though preparing for college is a long and bumpy road, once you’re handed that diploma you see that it was worth it. Having resources along the way to help you prepare for college helps you in the long run.

Kayla Mercer, Staff Reporter

By now some seniors of  have applied for early decision to college.  However, it is never too early for those that are not seniors to start preparing for college while still in high school. Freshmen should be starting  to map out their plans to take certain classes to help them progress in a future career that they like. Underclassman may typically find it harder to prepare for college during this period of their high school career.  Freshman Emma McDonald said,“Yes, I do feel it is important for students at my grade level to be preparing for college.” Freshmen, as well as sophomores, should start planning ahead by visiting college fairs and by getting involved in extracurricular activities that help students boost up their resume when applying for college.

Juniors should start preparing to make college visits and even get involved job shadowing opportunities. Doing so, you in be able to gain knowledge on colleges you may prefer and by doing job shadowing you can expand your resume. Students can also use websites such as  https://www.collegeboard.org/ to help buckle down on on what colleges they may be considering.

During the time of applying for college, students may feel stressed about college admissions and requirements. To alleviate this stress, you might find tips on how to apply for scholarships, what they should be looking for in colleges, or even what to major in. Senior Jewell Hill gave her advice on what students should think about when figuring out what major you want. Jewell said, “That thing that you love to do, hold on to it and do research for colleges that have majors in the area of your expertise.” Also the counselors here at Millbrook have set up outlets such as Remind accounts for each class to help notify students when opportunities have come about to help them get information for scholarships. The Class of 2016 should text @sserv to 81010.  The Class of 2017 should text @grad2017s to 81010. The Class of 2018 should text @class2018f to 81010. Lastly the Class of 2019 should text @class2019f to 81010. Even taking the ACT and PSAT help you gain notice with scholarship opportunities, since additional information is sent to students from colleges if certain scores are made.

Even though the thought of college may seem scary for some, there are many resources here at Millbrook for students to get the help they need when preparing for college.