A winning Winterfest

C. Starr

As leaders of the assembly, MC’s are an integral part of Winterfest. This year’s MC’s include Chloe Starr, Bryce Carnevale, David Thomas, Rob Hall, Nicole Rheinhardt, and Olivia Titka.

Mitra Norowzi, Editor-in-Chief

This morning, Millbrook was treated to its annual Winterfest Assembly. Winterfest is one of our most beloved traditions, and at one point referred to both the talent show and the dance. However, due to student council’s revamping of the dance portion, it is now called Winterbash, which will be later today. The Winterfest ceremony, however,  features Millbrook’s most talented performers included singers, dancers, musicians, and more. Led by MCs David Thomas, Rob Hall, Bryce Carnevale, Olivia Titka, Chloe Starr, and Nicole Rheinhardt, this year’s Winterfest assembly was a memorable experience for all. Our wonderful MCs were chosen for their unique charisma and ability to entertain. One of the most integral aspects of their presentation are the videos they make together. This tradition of the MCs creating short comedic films started a few years back. Seniors might remember the films featuring ‘Ratchet Girl,’ a character created by the 2013 Winterfest MCs, or the films in which Rickey Thompson and the other MCs had to break out of detention, Breakfast Club style, the following year. With a strong representation from the theater department, this year’s MCs were more than up to the job.

This year’s lineup featured singers Marianne Valino, Cammy Thomas, Maria Moncayo, Samantha Moody, Lilly Triolo, Mollie Baron, Quentin Merritt, and Jalisa Fullwood. Junior Maria Moncayo said of her experience in Winterfest, “Being involved in the show is honestly one of the best experiences that I’ve had at Millbrook.” She spoke on the immense preparations done by the performers: “I just kinda love the walkthroughs that we have where we literally like do nothing but hang out and like sing and dance and stuff.”  The dancers included Calvin Sykeo, Elizabeth Koscielniak, Meghan Curtain, Kayla Russell, Skylar Mundahl, Levida Lee, and Amanda Bryant. Performing in a band setting, we saw Wesley Cheesbrough, Steven Costello, Cole Villena, Gabby Goodman, Justin Lundy, and Karl Boynton. We also were treated to a special performance by Tori Lee.

Part of Winterfest as a Millbrook tradition is that it honors that year’s Outstanding Seniors, but this year, there were a couple amongst the performers. You can read more about them in our Centerspread on pages 8 and 9.  Many of the participants have also performed in past years, like senior Elizabeth Koscielniak, who has now danced three times at Winterfest. She said, “A lot of work goes into rehearsing for the performance to make it the best we can. Being a part of the Winterfest assembly is such an amazing and inspiring experience because I get to perform alongside so many talented students. This is my favorite event at Millbrook because I get to show people what I spend all my time doing and love (dancing.)” Winterfest is a wonderful opportunity for students like Elizabeth to share their passions with their peers.