Processed with VSCO with p5 preset

Mikayla Davis, Staff Reporter

Hey, readers. Welcome to the Cat Talk! My name is Mikayla Davis, and I was born and raised in Raleigh. I am eighteen years old and currently an IB senior at Millbrook. This is my third, and sadly last, year on staff and I have the privilege of  serving as Co Editor-in-Chief! In addition to newspaper, I am a captain of the varsity cheer team, on the varsity softball team, a member of Millbrook Executive Board, and part of many other clubs and organizations around campus. I am very passionate about writing, and I plan to study communications and possibly journalism. Other than writing, I also enjoy playing with my pitbull Lucy, poodle Bailey, and my cat Buddy. Thank you for reading; check out some of my articles while you're here!

All content by Mikayla Davis
Evaluating our food for possible defects such as rodent droppings and insect fragments, the Food and Drug Administration sets actions levels for specific products to ensure food is not adulterated. Do you know what you are truly eating, and, more importantly, are you okay with it?

What is really in your food?

Mikayla Davis, co Editor-in-Chief
March 20, 2019

Black History Month FYI: Sam Cooke

Mikayla Davis, Co Editor-in-Chief
February 15, 2019
Responding to a call about a suspicious vehicle late Wednesday night, Officer C.D. Ainsworth was shot multiple times, including once in the neck. Four people have now been arrested in relation to the murder.

Raleigh officer shot multiple times

Mikayla Davis, co Editor-in-Chief
January 10, 2019
Devouring a piece of meat, this male lion favors North Carolina’s own Matthai, who was killed early Sunday afternoon after mauling Alexandra Black. Black was excited to have begun her own path, following her passion for animal sciences and undoubtedly died doing what she loved.

Local woman killed by escaped lion

Mikayla Davis, co Editor-in-Chief
January 1, 2019
Representing the world map, prescription drugs have run rampant in today’s society being the third most commonly misused substances. When taken as prescribed by a doctor, prescription drugs can be used to cure pain, treat diseases, and fight infection.

It’s Debatable

Mikayla Davis, co Editor-in-Chief
December 19, 2018
Crying is widely considered a sign of weakness, but what many people do not know is that it has a number of health benefits. A good cry session can boost your mood, relieve stress, and remove toxins from the body.

Cry, it’s good for you!

Mikayla Davis, co Editor-in-Chief
December 19, 2018
Celebrating the completion of a long commitment which required hard work and determination, these college graduates may have bright futures, or harsh awakenings ahead of them. With the growing number of college graduates, it has become an expectation that high school graduates attend college; however, many still choose their own routes that may be just as rewarding.

It’s Debatable – Is college worth it?

Mikayla Davis, Co Editor-in-Chief
October 29, 2018
Waiting to see who they will be competing against, Mikayla Davis, Robbie Cicciari, and Savie Warren went 0-2-1 at last year’s National High School Ethics Bowl competition. Ethics Bowl is an enriching, thought provoking debate team eager to place in this years competition.

Campus Clubs – Ethics Bowl

Mikayla Davis, Co Editor-in-Chief
October 29, 2018
Dulging deep into his craft, Mac Miller refused to conform to the norms of mainstream rap, but rather experimented with different styles. His sudden death at the young age of 26 is without doubt a tragedy.

Prodigy Mac Miller dead at the age of 26

Mikayla Davis, Co Editor-in-Chief
September 8, 2018
Looking out onto the city of Athens, Greece, Caroline Cameron is a world traveler. She recently joined us at Millbrook from Munich, Germany.

Culture Collaboration

Mikayla Davis, Editorials Editor
May 22, 2018
Rallying together for a common cause, people of all ages marched in Washington, DC, and around the world to demand gun control legislation. Gun violence has been a problem in America for years and has gotten to the point that students refuse to stay silent.

Marching for a gun-free America

Mikayla Davis, Editorials Editor
March 25, 2018
Walking through his home city Jönköping, Filip enjoys traveling wherever and whenever he can. Filip has been to many parts of the world and this year he makes his debut in America.

Culture Collaboration

Mikayla Davis, Editorials Editor
March 14, 2018
Processing neurochemicals happens in very different ways when it comes to males and females, this makes the human brain a very complex and mysterious mass. These differing neurological occurrences provide a scientific explanation for the difference between genders.

The female brain vs male brain

Mikayla Davis, Editorials Editor
March 14, 2018
Mass shootings have been a major issue in the US since 1999.. How many lives must be lost before we pass stricter gun laws?

How many lives must be lost?

Mikayla Davis, Editorials Editor
March 14, 2018
Sleeping occurs in stages with dreams appearing in the final stage. There is yet to be a proven explanation for what our dreams mean, but there are, however, many interesting facts.

Twelve facts you did not know about dreams

Mikayla Davis, Editorials Editor
February 25, 2018
Eating the newest forbidden snack, tide pods, is currently a big trend amongst teenagers. Recently tide pod memes have become immensely popularized by social media.

The ultimate forbidden snack: Tide Pods

Mikayla Davis, Editorials Editor
January 13, 2018
Embracing her Muslim-Moroccan heritage, Yousra dresses in an abaya to celebrate Eid-al-adha. Yousra takes pride in her faith and culture and contributes to the cultural diversity of Millbrook.

Culture Collaboration

Mikayla Davis, Editorials Editor
January 10, 2018
Smiling from cheek to cheek, the Federal Communications Commissions chairs and commissioners responsible for repealing net neutrality. Chairman Ajit Pai, pictured far right, has succeeded in making this monumental change.

FCC kills net neutrality

Mikayla Davis, Editorials Editor
December 14, 2017
Threatening to take away net neutrality is threatening to take away the Internet as we know it. The Internet is meant to be a forever innovating source of information that is open and free to all.

Internet as we know it may be no longer

Mikayla Davis, Editorials Editor
December 5, 2017
Maniacy at its finest. Pictured are the bright and smiling faces of Millbrook Maniacs doing what they do best. Friday night football games are a great opportunity for the student body to bond with one another while showing their support of Millbrook’s football program.

How to be a Maniac with clout

Mikayla Davis, Editorials Editor
October 30, 2017
Visiting the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin, Teresa and her classmates learn about the Batavian Revolution. Teresa sill calls Germany home but is actively embracing the American culture.

Culture Collaboration

Mikayla Davis, Editorials Editor
October 18, 2017
Pictured left to right, Front Row: Addie Ultis, Jessie Crossland, Kamari Hudson, Kaylee Snead, and Sarah Tate Durling. Row 2:: Katie Day, Zaria Hudson, Gianna Alicea-Rochelle, Ella Schaffner, Andrea Shealey, Margaux Smith, Bria Bryant, and Maddie Barone. Row 3: Julia Brunetz, Aliya Ward, Kaylee Perry, Coach Ally Leaptrott, Camryn Thomas, Samara Demary, and Ryen Boleware. Row 4:: Jasmine Marshall, Grayson McClendon, Peyton Spainhour, Kemani Mullins, Natalie Green, Carlie Wilson, and Maya Lee.

Defending Stunt champions

Mikayla Davis, Staff Reporter
May 8, 2017
Posing before dancing in the 2016 International Festival, the Modern African Dancers enjoy sharing their culture. The African Student Association hopes to continue growing throughout the years at Millbrook.

Culture Collaboration

Mikayla Davis, Staff Reporter
March 16, 2017
Cheering to “We’re all in this Together” from High School Musical has become a crowd favorite at games and competitions. Those with disabilities did not ask to be born that way, and they deserve to be treated kindly.

Spread the Word to End the Word

Mikayla Davis, Staff Reporter
March 10, 2017
Making dough dumplings for a Vietnamese dessert called che, Kim Nguyen (left) enjoys teaching her grandaughters Mady Ignacio (middle) and Aly Ignacio (right) how to prepare Vietnamese dishes. Lunar New Year is a huge celebration for some and a household celebration for others but special nonetheless.

Culture Collaboration

Mikayla Davis, Staff Reporter
February 1, 2017
Enjoying a beautiful view, this Muslim American family does not wish to harm anybody. The stereotyping of Muslims must come to an end.

Not all Muslims are terrorists

Mikayla Davis, Staff Reporter
February 1, 2017
Enjoying each others company in front of the Christmas tree; Grayson McClendon, on the left, and her family have their own unique way of celebrating Christmas. With so many different customs and traditions, Christmas is a truly secular holiday.

Culture Collaboration

Mikayla Davis, Staff Reporter
December 21, 2016
Posing for a quick picture before changing into a different costume for her next dance, Waverly Noble loves her Jig dress. Waverly placed fourth for her Earl of Erroll dance at her competition in Richmond, Virginia.

Culture Collaboration

Mikayla Davis, Staff Reporter
November 5, 2016
Posing in the national dress of Norway, the bunad, Maia Skalmeras gets ready to celebrate her cousins confirmation. 
Maia also  loves going to the family cabin to ski in Roros when her family has a free weekend.

Culture Collaboration

Mikayla Davis, Staff Reporter
October 21, 2016
Moving across the ocean is definitely a huge change. However, sophomore Matthew Garreau was able to quickly adjust to his new lifestyle in America.

Culture Collaboration

Mikayla Davis, Staff Reporter
October 19, 2016
Load More Stories