Taking the school by storm, MHS dance team

Performing+at+the+school+pep+rally%2C+the+Millbrook+Dance+team+never+fails+to+excite+the+crowd.+These+girls+are+both+very+hardworking+and+talented.+

G. Copeland

Performing at the school pep rally, the Millbrook Dance team never fails to excite the crowd. These girls are both very hardworking and talented.

Mikayla Davis, Staff Reporter

For the 2016-17 school year, eight talented dancers were chosen to be a part of the Millbrook High School Dance team. The school dance teacher, Mrs. Cummings, coaches the team. The ladies perform in front of the Maniacs at pep rallies, football games, and basketball games.

Tryouts for the team were held at the end of last school year by Mrs. Cummings. The team consists of senior Kayla Russell, junior Skyler Mandauhl, junior Essence Ferguson, sophomore Rebekah Hayles, sophomore Abby Gelband, sophomore Emmawes, sophomore Anna Williams, and freshman Kayla Styll. All of the girls dance outside of school and have unique dance backgrounds. Fortunately, the team gets along very well and has clear chemistry.

The girls like Mrs. Cummings both as a coach and as a person. “She is very helpful but doesn’t overstep. She lets us handle the music and the choreography for the most part,” said Essence Ferguson. Mrs. Cummings graduated from East Carolina University and has been teaching dance classes at Millbrook for over ten years.

The members of the dance team get together two to three times a week to practice. They perform the same dance only twice, then choreograph and learn a new one. Their performances consist of a mixture of hip-hop and jazz to popular songs like “Bad and Boujee”. “As a team we choose songs that are upbeat and songs that we know most students could get into as much as we do, which allows people watching to spread energy. We dance and perform better when the crowd is excited so that influences our song choice.” said Abby Gelband.

It was a very successful first season for the MHS dance team. “It was so much fun to be able to perform at both football and basketball games. We also enjoyed choreographing the dances and overall it was a good season,” said sophomore Rebekah Hayles. The team, as well as the Maniacs, are already looking forward to next season.