Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith, Co Editor-in-Chief

Hey, I'm Sydney! I'm a senior here at Millbrook, and this is my third year on the Cat Talk staff. Aside from newspaper, I'm passionate about tutoring refugee elementary school children with a volunteer organization called Refugee Hope Partners. At Millbrook, I'm committed to the National Honor Society, Women in STEM, and an officer position in the English Honor Society. I'm also a member of the IB Diploma Programme. I love books, coffee, music, yoga, movies, running, working out, cooking, and spending time with my friends. This year, I'm so excited to be a co-editor-in-chief of the newspaper. Thanks for reading the Cat Talk!

All content by Sydney Smith
Jogging in the snow, this runner does not let the harsh temperatures interfere with their workout schedule. There are many advantages to exercising in the cold, and it is not worth skipping a workout because of the weather during the winter season.

Living Fit: Working out in the cold

Sydney Smith, Co Editor-in-Chief
December 20, 2019
Listing a number of tasks and their allotted times of completion, these daily schedules show several habits that can be maintained with a few simple steps. Some of these include assigning cues and rewards to your habits, using the results of your goals to stay motivated, and using friends and family as a source of support and encouragement.

Creating habits

Sydney Smith, Co Editor-in-Chief
November 4, 2019
Featuring a multitude of different types of workouts, the fitness app Sworkit provides routines for strength, cardio, yoga, stretching, and more. Sworkit is great for those who do not have time to hit the gym but want to fit a workout in on the daily.

Living Fit: Sworkit

Sydney Smith, Co Editor-in-Chief
November 4, 2019
Awarding author Toni Morrison the Presidential Medal of Freedom, President Barack Obama talks with her in the White House’s Blue Room. Morrison has earned a variety of other titles and distinctions due to her impressive literary career and numerous highly acclaimed novels.

Novelist Toni Morrison dies at age 88

Sydney Smith, Co Editor-in-Chief
August 7, 2019
Getting a facial, this person takes time to care for her skin by going to the spa. There are many ways to pamper yourself and improve your skin, including moisturizing, exfoliating, monitoring your diet, using all-natural beauty products, and more.

Living Fit: Skin care

Sydney Smith, News Editor
May 22, 2019
Positioned in planks, these athletes engage in one of the many exercises that can be effectively incorporated into high-intensity interval training, or HIIT, workouts. HIIT requires a short period of difficult exercise followed by an even shorter period of rest in order to help you progress faster towards your fitness goals.

Living Fit: HIIT the gym

Sydney Smith, News Editor
May 14, 2019
Devoting time to self-awareness and mindful breathing, this woman engages in a peaceful meditation session, letting her thoughts come and go freely. Meditation is one of the many beneficial forms of self-care, a practice imperative to general happiness.

Living Fit

Sydney Smith, News Editor
March 20, 2019
 Positioned in a clock rotation, these foods resemble the fundamentals of intermittent fasting. Intermittent fasting is based on a cycle of alternating between a fed state and a fasted state in order to allow a vast range of health benefits to take effect.

Living Fit

Sydney Smith, News Editor
March 17, 2019
Entering the event, Karl Lagerfeld attends Volkswagen People’s Night 2008, a social function in Berlin, Germany. Lagerfeld recently passed away as a result of the pancreatic cancer he had been dealing with since early January.

Karl Lagerfeld dies at age 85

Sydney Smith, News Editor
February 22, 2019
Presenting a clutter-free workspace, this desk area features a minimalistic setup for more productive, less stressful work. Minimalism as a whole reflects the joy of living with less items and eliminating all but what is necessary in order to live a more fulfilling and ultimately more successful life.

Minimalism: The art of less

Sydney Smith, News Editor
December 19, 2018
Resting in sit-up position, junior Jamie Horwitz prepares for her floor core workout. Working out can easily be done at home by utilizing open spaces and smaller pieces of equipment, as well as planning your workouts ahead of time.

Living Fit: At-home workout tips

Sydney Smith, News Editor
December 19, 2018
Attracting customers far and wide, this Starbucks sign advertises autumnal specials, including the beloved Pumpkin Spice Latte. This year, pumpkin-lovers can expect a vast selection of pumpkin spice products to accommodate their tastes.

All things pumpkin spice

Sydney Smith, News Editor
October 29, 2018
Arranged in an array of colors, pictured are raw, wholesome fruits and vegetables, many of which have been grown for centuries. The Paleo Diet, inspired by the lifestyle of ancient humans, includes eating foods like these, along with grass-fed meats, seafood, nuts, seeds, and healthy oils.

Living Fit

Sydney Smith, News Editor
October 29, 2018
Made with wheatgrass for iron, calcium, magnesium, amino acids, chlorophyll, and vitamins A, C, and E, this juice shot fights harmful bacteria in the digestive system and boosts the immune system. Wellness shots have a variety of benefits depending on the ingredients, hence the popularity of the small, but powerful, concentrated shots.

Living Fit

Sydney Smith, News Editor
October 16, 2018
Working diligently at their desks, students complete test questions to demonstrate their knowledge in the class. Successful students may apply a series of specific strategies to help them to earn a favorable grade on the exam.

How to ace your next exam

Sydney Smith, Staff Reporter
May 22, 2018
Located in North Ridge Shopping Center, Salt and Lime welcomes countless local customers every day. The authentic Baja Mexican restaurant offers unique dishes featuring both modern seafood options and traditional Mexican foods.

Critic’s Corner

Sydney Smith, Staff Reporter
May 22, 2018
Representing the I Believe in Raleigh movement, the mural is painted across the back of the picturesque Sola Coffee Café. Sola is the perfect place for anyone looking for a cozy, laid-back dining experience and a taste of some of the best food in Raleigh.

Critic’s Corner

Sydney Smith, Staff Reporter
March 25, 2018
Engaging with her audience, freshman Abbey Shanahan confidently delivers a speech.

Speak up!

Sydney Smith, Staff Reporter
March 16, 2018
Working diligently behind the counter, the employees of Two Roosters Ice Cream make all their ice cream from scratch. Overhanging the store is their menu, which features one-of-a-kind flavors, like Coffee and Cream Swirl, Blackberry Hibiscus, and Sola Cinnamon Donut.

Critic’s Corner

Sydney Smith, Staff Reporter
March 15, 2018
 Meeting with former president Barack Obama, Billy Graham has a discussion in his home in Montreat, North Carolina. Graham recently passed away at age ninety-nine, leaving an evangelical legacy behind him.

Billy Graham dies at age ninety-nine

Sydney Smith, Staff Reporter
February 22, 2018
Staying on top of her schoolwork and extracurricular activities, Sophomore Bernadette Rodts records her schedule in an agenda daily. With midterms coming soon and many Millbrook students frantic about both grades and performance in commitments outside of school, properly administering time is necessary for all students in order to continue to do well throughout all of their activities.

How to effectively manage your time

Sydney Smith, Staff Reporter
January 10, 2018
Enjoying the homey setting, customers at North Ridge Pub relish their delicious, appetizing meals. Known for their delicious variety of food and outstanding service, North Ridge Pub continues to serve the Raleigh community by offering a unique, family-friendly dining experience.

Critic’s Corner

Sydney Smith, Staff Reporter
January 10, 2018
Sinking in Ormoc Bay in the Philippines, the USS Ward bids a final farewell to its stint as a high-speed transport ship for the U.S. The Ward, which fired the shot that prompted America into World War II, was recently found in the waters of Ponson Island in the Philippines.

Missing World War II ship found

Sydney Smith, Staff Reporter
December 10, 2017
Lying wrapped around the tree, the gifts the rest of your family have bought mock you, as you are the only one who has waited until the last minute. This year, don’t procrastinate; put forth the right amount of effort in purchasing your gifts, and skip sifting through a picked-over selection.

How to shop for the holidays

Sydney Smith, Staff Reporter
November 26, 2017
Published in 1960, To Kill a Mockingbird has now sold over forty million copies. The critically acclaimed novel has recently caused quarrel among parents of eighth graders in Biloxi, Mississippi, leading to its ban from their curriculum altogether.

To Kill a Mockingbird dismays parents

Sydney Smith, Staff Reporter
October 17, 2017
Featuring an all-organic menu, Juickeys strives to serve foods that will not hurt your health. Owner Kelly Young loves to create flavorful, yet nutritious, food choices.

Critic’s Corner: Juicekeys

Sydney Smith, Staff Reporter
October 13, 2017
Load More Stories

Comments (0)

All Cat Talk Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest