Teacher Tribute: Elizabeth and Joshua Davis

Jillian Brookshire, Staff Reporter

Mr. and Mrs. Davis are two fantastic teachers who are both a true asset to Millbrook. Mr. Davis teaches Beginner Art, IB Art, Advanced Visual Arts, and AP Studio Art Drawing. Until just a few weeks ago, Mrs. Davis taught AP Literature and English 12, but she is now the MYP Coordinator.

Mr. Davis said Millbrook was in the perfect location for him because “I knew I wanted to be in Raleigh. I applied to all open positions and was hired here as a part-time art teacher. During that time, I was also working at a halfway house for teens. When I was hired full time, I had to quit that other job, but I have always had the honor of serving young people here in Raleigh, and Millbrook has been a great place to do that work.” On the other hand, Mrs. Davis says while she was in grad school, she became a substitute teacher to earn some extra money, and she instantly fell in love with being in the classroom. While she was getting her teaching license, she held a long-term subbing position at Millbrook.

Mr. and Mrs. Davis met each other when Mrs. Davis was doing her student teaching across the hallway from Mr. Davis’ classroom. Mrs. Davis says, “I thought he might be interested in me because of how awkward he seemed around me, and I was definitely interested, so I took a shot one afternoon and asked him to hangout that Friday.” That Friday evening, they took their bikes to Downtown Raleigh and rode around an art gallery where some of Mr. Davis’s artwork was being displayed. Mr. Davis says he was thrilled Mrs. Davis asked him out because he was way too nervous to ask her out.  

Mr. and Mrs. Davis are involved in many different activities both inside and outside of Millbrook. At school, both Mr. and Mrs. Davis are the advisors for Tempest, the school’s art and literary magazine along with other various activities. Outside of school, Mr. Davis enjoys playing golf, making art, and building in his shop. The Davis’s both love spending time with their son, Yates, who turns two today. Happy birthday, Yates! They like going on walks with him, watching Moana, and teaching him letters and numbers. They also both enjoy going to concerts at Cat’s Cradle and the Haw River Ballroom in Saxapahaw.

Mr. and Mrs. Davis have made Millbrook a better place through their teaching. Mr. Davis says his favorite part of teaching is “being able to show kids cool stuff all day and guide them as they create things that didn’t exist until they just made them. Giving young people a few hours a week to be a creator instead of a consumer is an important job that also has the luxury of being fun.” Although Mrs. Davis is no longer teaching, she still continues to have an impact on her students as senior Jessica Ledrowski says, “She was always really honest about life with us, and she talked to us like young adults instead of kids. She was probably my favorite English teacher.”

Every day the Davis’s dedication to Millbrook students and teachers continues to make our school a better place. Their positivity and hard work have truly contributed to making Millbrook a fantastic school.