Teacher Tribute: Matthew and Wendy Edwards

Jillian Brookshire, Staff Reporter

Mr. and Mrs. Edwards have truly made Millbrook High School a better school through their teaching. The Edwards have been at Millbrook for sixteen years, and they remain here because of their love for teaching and students.

Mrs. Edwards said, “I was looking for a teaching job in the Triangle area, and one opened up at Millbrook two weeks before school started.” At the time, Mr. Edwards was also looking for a job to teach and coach soccer at a school in either the Raleigh or Charlotte area. He finally settled on Millbrook because “they seemed to be the most interested in me as a teacher and a soccer coach. I also had grown up close to Millbrook and worked at the Exchange Park pool in high school and college, so I felt like I knew the area and the people pretty well.”

In 2002, both Mr. and Mrs. Edwards began as first year teachers at Millbrook. Mr. Edwards said he and Mrs. Edwards got to know each other  when “we attended the same countless meetings that all new teachers are required to attend, and we were a support group for each other. We spent so much time together so I guess it makes sense. She also laughed at my jokes and that is important.” Mr. Edwards then asked out Mrs. Edwards on their first payday and the rest was history.

Both Mr. and Mrs. Edwards are very involved at Millbrook. Mrs. Edwards teaches all grade levels of Environmental Science, AP Environmental Science, and IB Environmental Systems and Societies, while Mr. Edwards teaches mathematics. Inside of school, Mr. Edwards coaches soccer. Outside of school Mrs. Edwards spends most of her time with their two daughters, Avery and Tyler, and attending their various after school activities, such as cheerleading and swimming. They also enjoy attending live sporting events and eating. Mr. Edwards spends his time out of school tutoring students from other schools. Over the years, the Edwards have found that having two teachers under the same roof to be quite helpful. Although Mrs. Edwards said that their lives are very busy, “many of our conversations revolve around school. It is nice to have a sounding board though.” Mr. Edwards said he feels like “it is a great source of support and empathy. We understand what the challenges are with teaching and we can be a source of advice and encouragement for each other.”

Since the Edwards have been teaching for so long, it is clear that they are invested in their jobs. Mrs. Edwards said her favorite part of teaching is “building relationships with the students. I love when former students come back to see me. I have had several students pursue careers in natural resources and environmental studies. It makes me so happy when I can spark an interest in students about something I am passionate about.” For Mr. Edwards, the best part about teaching is “the schedule! Summers off! I like the challenge that each new school year and each class bring me. I get to work with other people and see how the future is being affected by the kids I teach.”

The Edwards have made Millbrook a better place through their teaching and Mr. Edwards’ coaching. Sophomore Hope Freeman plays soccer for Mr. Edwards and said, “It’s really great to play for Coach Eds because you can tell that he is really passionate about the sport and cares about our development and success.” The Edwards have had such a large impact on so many students, and through teaching, their dedication to Millbrook really shows.