The Brook Cook: Making breakfast a priority

Cooling from coming out of the oven, these egg muffins show an array of colors from the different ingredients cooked inside. “Eating the rainbow” puts you in a mindset to eat a variety of foods so you can get a wide range of nutrients which is important when starting your day.

flickr.com

Justine Hooker, Staff Reporter

As school is now in full swing, schedules have been busy, resulting in students staying up late to finish homework and waking up early for school the next day. Schedules may be hectic, but there is one thing that should not be sacrificed, and that is breakfast! This meal is very important because it paves the way for the rest of the day. What you eat, or what you do not eat, for breakfast can affect your mood, work ethic, and behavior. Making this a priority can be tough for some because it may feel like there is not enough time. If you follow these easy recipes, there is a way to have a substantial and quick breakfast in the morning without sacrificing precious sleep time.

The first recipe is egg muffins, for when you are craving something savory in the morning. The base of this recipe is eggs. You can use egg whites or the whole egg, whichever you prefer. The remaining ingredients that go in the muffins are up to you. For a sustainable breakfast, try incorporating multiple food groups such as vegetables and protein by adding spinach, kale, bell peppers, cheese, sausage, bacon, or tomatoes. The possibilities are endless; this recipe is just a simple version. These muffins should be cooked the previous night and warmed in the microwave the next morning. Prepping this dish it only takes ten short minutes.

Ingredients:

*bacon

*twelve eggs

*½ cup chopped onion

*½ cup chopped green bell pepper

*one teaspoon of salt and pepper

*½ cup of cheddar cheese

Instructions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
  2. Prep all your ingredients that you want chopped and grease a twelve cup muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray.
  3. Cook the bacon until golden brown.
  4. In a large bowl, beat the eggs with a whisk until no whites are visible.
  5. Add the chopped onions, green bell peppers, bacon, cheese, salt, and pepper to the egg mixture and stir.
  6. Use a ⅓ or ¼ measuring cup to scoop the egg mixture into each muffin cup.
  7. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes. (You can check by sticking a knife into a muffin, and if the knife comes out clean, the muffins are done).
  8. After they have cooled, put the muffins in an airtight container and in the fridge.

To heat in the morning, place them in the microwave until they are warm.

The second recipe is a sweet option: Greek yogurt granola bowls. Greek yogurt is high in protein and will keep you full. The beauty of this recipe, similar to the egg muffins, is that they are customizable. You can top with anything that you want. All kinds of fruits, nuts, and granolas help to bulk up this dish. If you are vegan or lactose intolerant, you can substitute the Greek yogurt for coconut yogurt which tastes just as good.

Ingredients:

*one cup of plain Greek yogurt

*½ cup strawberries

*½ cup blueberries

*⅓ cup of your favorite granola (or replace granola with any nuts)

*honey

Instructions:

1. Place one cup of yogurt into a bowl.
  2. Put the strawberries, blueberries and granola on top of yogurt.
  3. Drizzle honey over your yogurt bowl.

With school continuing to pile onto schedules, do not forget the importance of breakfast. What you eat affects your entire day, especially what you eat in the morning. Both recipes allow you to be creative and add whatever foods you like. These take no longer than five minutes to assemble, so get up out of bed and get in the kitchen with The Brook’s Cook!

pixnio.com
Looking ripe and delicious, these fruits sit on on top of greek yogurt and granola. Choosing your favorite fruits lets you be creative and put your own twist on breakfast.