What is the DMCA?

Working+diligently+on+their+graphic+design+project%2C+the+DMCA+students+work+to+improve+their+skills.+The+DMCA+offers+participating+students+many+classes+throughout+their+high+school+career+to+help+learn+new+and+useful+skills+to+be+utilized++in+the+professional+world.+++

millbrookdmca.weebly.com

Working diligently on their graphic design project, the DMCA students work to improve their skills. The DMCA offers participating students many classes throughout their high school career to help learn new and useful skills to be utilized in the professional world.

Jonah Manuel, Staff Reporter

Millbrook High School is home to many different academic and extracurricular activities of which students can participate. One fine example is Millbrook’s very own Digital Media Career Academy. The DMCA program provides a wide range of new skills and opportunities students can benefit from, such as workplace etiquette and professional level skills. Originally started in 2014 by Ms. Romano and Mrs. Cortwright, the DMCA has been drastically growing and improving as it gains new members and staff to contribute to the continued success of the academy.

The DMCA is now headed by Mrs. April Smith since the previous director, Mr. Robert Dail, transferred schools. Regardless of who is in charge, the students’ development is always the top priority. The DMCA is a multiyear collaborative working environment for students to grow and develop extremely valuable skills with programs such as the Adobe Suite, which includes InDesign, Photoshop, After Effects, Premiere, and Illustrator.    

Students are encouraged to join freshman year but are still eligible to join for their sophomore year. The sooner a student joins, the sooner they meet their fellow classmates in the academy who they will share the rest of their high school career with. Due to the nature of the program, students will build strong bonds with the others in their grade. Students will typically share two classes per grade level, one multimedia class and one academic class, with their fellow academy students, building a strong, cooperative, and friendly community with their classmates. During their senior year, the academy students are required to locate and complete an internship. This puts the student’s years of development to the test and allows the students to experience a real-world working environment.     

The DMCA allows students to establish newfound talents and goals. Senior Daniel Perry has the following insight to share about this program: “The DMCA has shown me that I can do things that I didn’t realize I could do before, allowing me to further the hopes of owning a business and knowing how to do a lot of the website information. This has shown me that students should join.” This goes to show that the DMCA offers great skills and opportunities to students for their future endeavors. The DMCA is a great way to build bonds with students, learn invaluable skills, and most importantly grow into a well-rounded adult ready to excel in the workforce.  To find more info about the DMCA, they are on Instagram under the username mhs_dmca, and you can access their website by going to millbrookdmca.weebly.com.