Becoming more environmentally friendly in 2019

Flickr.com

Surrounding the Earth is the well known recycle symbol. People know about recycling and its great benefits to sustainability. Unfortunately, the large amount that we should be recycling is lacking, especially with plastic being used everyday.

Justine Hooker, Staff Reporter

As this year comes to an end and New Year’s Resolutions are being made, there is one important resolution that should be on everyone’s list; and that is to help save the planet. Fossil fuels, pollution, and waste are just some of the causes to the growing problem on the rise for our planet. Going environmentally friendly does not have to be hard, and these few quick changes can go a long way.

Americans use about five million straws a day, which adds to the buildup of ocean trash which harm ocean animals like sea turtles. An easy way to replace the use of plastic straws is to invest in stainless steel or glass straws. You can keep them both at home and in the car so you will always have one ready to use. Plastic water bottles have also been known to be horrible for the environment for quite some time now, yet people still continue to use them. Yes, they are convenient, but on average they take about four hundred and fifty years to degrade. Think about how many plastic bottles you have used just in the past week, month or year; those bottles are not even close to degrading yet. A great alternative are reusable water bottles. With thousands of brands and types on the market, you are sure to find one that you like.

Buying organic or locally grown produce and products is another way to stay green. Farms producing organic foods use certified sustainable processes to grow their food. Buying organic promotes these green farming techniques.

Plastic is a huge issue that contributes to the declining health of our planet. When going grocery shopping, try to bring reusable cloth bags to use at checkout, so you do not have to use plastic grocery bags. Using cloth produce bags can help reduce the amount of plastic. These plastic swaps may not seem significant, but these gradual changes are beneficial. It can be hard to stop using plastic as it is convenient, but if you are using plastic, please remember to recycle. There are numerous products that you can buy as well to replace household items that you are currently using. Items like paper towels and toilet paper can be more environmentally friendly when bought as recyclable. We as a society do not recycle nearly as much as we should be. Sophomore Stellana Erickson said, “We have to decide now to have a future with fresh air and flowers, every recycled bottle counts.”

Tons of recyclable items go in the trash when they could be repurposed.  It is important to keep our Earth clean so the environment is sustainable for future generations. Adopting some of these eco-friendly hacks will help strengthen the overall health of the planet, which starts with each and everyone of us. Start 2019 off right by keeping our Earth clean!