Average gym clothes seem to be crushing it on the streets

Head+to+toe+in+workout+clothes%2C+it+looks+like+sophomore+Anna+Cate+Broome+is+team+Lulu%21+Is+the+sleek%2C+sporty+look+just+a+fad%2C+or+is+it+here+to+stay%3F+

Head to toe in workout clothes, it looks like sophomore Anna Cate Broome is team Lulu! Is the sleek, sporty look just a fad, or is it here to stay?

J. Griffin

J. Griffin

J. Griffin

Jenna Griffin, Staff Reporter

We have officially entered the age of “Athleisure” clothing, activewear that is not actually worn for workouts. From chilling on the couch to walking the runway, the athleisure look has completely taken over the fashion industry. People are shocked when they first glance at the price tag on a pair of leggings these days, yet we see high priced gym clothes everywhere we look. We can also find an almost identical pair of black yoga pants anywhere, including Costco for $7.99. So, what is the deal with this trend that just does not seem to take a rest?

In the not-so-distant past, women wore workout clothes to exercise. Wearing them to brunch or to work was hardly thought of as fashionable. Recently, however, sales of yoga pants and hoodies have been up, while denim sales have been down. People are wearing trendy workout clothes all day, everyday.

Lululemon is by far the leader in the active lifestyle market. It seems to attract a very broad group of people, from women and men, and from yoga to running. Lululemon charges about $75 more for a pair of basic yoga pants simply because they know shoppers will pay for the brand. Although Lululemon has found the secret to making these clothes so great, some people still refuse to pay a fortune for leggings and tank tops with a “U” shaped logo stamped on the back, especially when they can find similar things on Amazon for less money. Sophomore Stellana Erickson agreed: “The price on some athletic brands just turns me away. I think you can find equally cute workout clothes almost anywhere else that are also great quality. Especially since I do not plan on hitting the treadmill, I do not see the need to spend so much money.”

Once upon a time there was “Casual Friday.” Now, it is more like casual 24/7. These days, it is all about workout clothes that have taken a step up from the gym and the studio. Athletic wear is saying goodbye to its sweaty reputation and slipping into something more fashionable. There is no sign of this trend slowing down, so be prepared for more stand-out designs to add even more to the athleisure look!

Jenna Griffin, Staff Reporter

Howdy Cat Talk readers! My name is Jenna Griffin, and I am a sophomore this year! I couldn't be more excited to write for the Cat Talk. I'm a motivated...