Updating students on Graduation

Holding+their+diplomas%2C+graduates+Sophie+Preston+%28left%29+and+Diego+Pounds+%28right%29+took+advantage+of+the+early+graduation+opportunity.+Whether+you+have+already+graduated+or+are+graduating+next+month%2C+getting+a+highschool+diploma+is+a+big+deal%2C+congrats+to+all+Class+of+2021+Wildcats%21+

Provided by: S. Preston

Holding their diplomas, graduates Sophie Preston (left) and Diego Pounds (right) took advantage of the early graduation opportunity. Whether you have already graduated or are graduating next month, getting a highschool diploma is a big deal, congrats to all Class of 2021 Wildcats!

Gabrielle Phillips, News/Editorials Editor

Graduation is a rite of passage that many people will remember for the rest of their lives. It is a big step towards adulthood and officially leaving childhood behind. When COVID hit, Millbrook’s Class of 2020 graduates were left saddened upon discovery that their graduation would be nowhere near normal. This year, as vaccines have rolled out and the restrictions have eased, a graduation ceremony is looking promising for graduating Millbrook students.
This year, Millbrook is having six ceremonies; one of which is a walkthrough, the rest are all traditional ceremonies. Traditional ceremonies will be held in the main gym on Wednesday, June 9 at 8:30 am, 11:00 am, and 4:00 pm. There will also be two ceremonies held on Thursday, June 10 at 11:00 am and 4:00 pm. These ceremonies will still implement COVID guidelines, with it being mandatory to wear a mask and social distance. Graduates will also be given four tickets for family members to watch. This is because there is a certain amount of people that can be held in the gym. This ceremony will be a formal program, including speeches from students and Mrs. King, as well as graduates walking across the stage. If you feel uncomfortable with going to a traditional ceremony, you can choose a walkthrough ceremony.
The walkthrough ceremony will take place on Thursday, June 10 between 8:30 am and 10:00 am. This ceremony is the most similar to last year. During the walkthrough, families will enter the gym one at a time along with their graduate. The student will have their name read, then walk across the stage to receive their diploma. This ceremony will not include speeches or a formal program. Students participating in the walkthrough ceremony will also get four tickets.
Millbrook students are excited to see some normalcy at the end of the school year. Senior Jehlan White said, “I am extremely glad we are now able to go to games and club meetings. Although it is not completely the same, I am glad I am able to end my senior year with a graduation ceremony.”
As COVID restrictions continue to be lifted, ceremonies may be condensed and combined if event capacity numbers increase. You can sign up through the link on the Millbrook website, or the one that was sent to your student email. Ceremonies on June 9 at 11:00 am and 4:00 pmare full, as well as June 10 at 11:00. Make sure to sign up soon before your preferred date and time are unavailable. The link to sign up becomes inactive on May 14 at 5:00 pm.
This is an exciting time for us, graduating Wildcats! Learning during a pandemic is very hard, but getting that diploma will make it all worth it!