Teen Driver Kills Mother and Baby – What’s Next?

Cameron Herrin Mugshot, at age of 18. Taken by Tampa Police Department.

Tampa Police Department via WTSP-TV, Tampa-St. Petersburg

Cailie Boothe, Staff Reporter

In 2018, on Bayshore Boulevard in South Tampa Florida, 18-year-old Cameron Herrin was driving the car gifted to him after his high school graduation just days before. Herrin and his friend John Barrineau, each in separate vehicles, accelerated rapidly on Bayshore Boulevard when the traffic light turned green. The vehicles approached 24-year-old Jessica Reisinger, who was pushing her 21-month-old daughter, Lilia, in a stroller. As Jessica attempted to cross the street, the two cars sped down the road. Birreneau swerved his car out of the way, while Herrin collided into Jessica and her daughter, killing both. Barrineau pleaded guilty to vehicular homicide, sentencing him to six years of prison, as well as 15 years of probation, and 200 hours of community service. Following that, under his plea deal, he was asked to testify against Herrin. After Barrineau was convicted, Herrin took a plea deal, admitting to vehicular homicide and unlawful racing. After hearing from the defense, the  judge would sentence Herrin.

Close family friends argue that Herrin is a caring, young man with no intent to hurt anyone. They claim that the collision was a “tragic accident” and that Cameron had made a mistake. It was even stated by a health professional, Dr. Samuel Friedman, that an 18-year-old does not have a fully developed brain, causing them to be much more impulsive. Herrin also has no trace of a criminal record.

However, the prosecution argues that the collision was not an accident. In December 2019, Jessica’s widower, David, pleaded with the judge to bring his family justice. As Cameron was travelling 102 miles per hour just before the collision, records show he had previously been travelling 162 miles per hour on I-95. Although there may have been no intent to harm, prosecutors testified that Herrin had full intentions to speed. 

Three years after the crash, proceedings are finally underway with the judge stating that Herrin could serve up to 30 years in federal prison. During sentencing, Cameron’s attorney said that he was a good boy who made a bad mistake, but the police argued that Herrin had a habit of reckless driving. Herrin will be held responsible for his actions, but maximum sentencing is harsher than expected. David, Jessica’s husband, reminded the court of the heartbreak that comes with the killing of his family. The court stated that the defendant is guilty and will spend nine years in Florida state prison. On the same charge of vehicular homicide, the court will adjudicate Herrin guilty and sentence him to 15 more years in Florida state prison, adding up to a total of 24 years in prison.

Cameron’s history of reckless driving contributed to the judge’s decision of the long sentencing. However, Herrin’s attorneys say that the judge abused his authority and are asking the court for a second chance with an appeal. The appeal would review if the sentencing was unfair, as well as if the judge may have also violated the law. If anything can be taken out of this case, it is to avoid reckless driving. Especially as a young adult, the consequences that it may bring are not worth the ten seconds of fun. 

After discussing this case with multiple Millbrook students, I got varying opinions on the case. According to Kay Nix, she feels as though because Herrin was speed racing, it was not an accident. He deserves some form of punishment for his actions, however 24 years is excessive. She states that 6 years in federal prison, 1 year parole, and a 2 year suspension of his license would be more suitable. Another opinion from Caden Carlton, states that he deserves all given consequences for his actions as he had taken the risk of speed racing, which was already illegal. This is an example as to why finding a final verdict for this case has been so difficult, there have been multiple different opinions on the situation.