Teacher Tribute: Teaching outside the box

Taking a break from grading papers, Mr. Hosking sports his newly grown-out hair. Hosking even has a fan made twitter that spotlights his locks.

V. Anderson

Emily Ficker, Staff Reporter

Many people are not aware of teachers’ busy day-to-day lives. Teachers plan, grade, attend meetings, and do so much more. Some even exceed their regular duties by coaching sports or managing clubs. One of those teachers is Nicholas Hosking. Mr. Hosking graduated from Indiana University in 2001 and went on to work at Emerson Marketing. When he realized that he was not happy with his career, he was encouraged by his girlfriend (and now wife) to go back to school to earn his teaching degree. At Millbrook, he teaches humanities courses, such as World History, AP US Government, and IB 21st Century Topics.
His first year teaching at Millbrook was back in 2010. Since then, he has taken on coaching Women’s Lacrosse with fellow humanities teacher, Mr. Matthew Cope. Despite the fact he had zero prior knowledge about the sport, he found himself getting a lot out of coaching it. He said, “I enjoy the passion and confidence that girls get from playing sports. It is amazing watching players who you would never expect to play an athletic sport excel on the field.” Even more recently, Hosking has been working with senior Jack Banask on Investment club. Investment club stresses the importance of saving money and understanding how to invest it. Mr. Hosking believes it is crucial to plan your future, because you never know what may happen. Founder of Investment Club, Jack Banask, said “Mr. Hosking is special… I chose him to advise the MHS Investment Club because I knew that he had knowledge in the field of economics and the tolerance to deal with a leader like myself. In all honesty, Mr. Hosking is one of the greatest teachers I have ever had.”
The trait that sets Hosking apart from most teachers is how he encourages his students to think outside the box when it comes to the content they learn. This style of teaching goes hand-in-hand with the IB learner profile that Millbrook aims to instill in all of its students.
Outside Hosking’s busy school life, he is an avid snow skier. He has skied in five different countries, including the United States, Canada, Australia, Italy, and Switzerland and hopes to add to that list. He finds himself happiest when he is cooking, though. Hosking says his dream job (besides teaching) would be owning a restaurant or being an executive chef because he has an irrational fear of people messing up his food.
Hosking ends on an appreciative note; “I don’t know if I’m allowed to give a shout out, but here is one anyway…. Big props to The I&S Crew, you amaze me every day; to my students, you inspire me to come back here every day; to my barber, thanks for keepin’ the do fly; to Ms. Cooper, I see you over there, and to Miss Ficker, thanks for the recognition…. Cats on 3! 1….2…3…”