Making an impact on Raleigh and now Cleveland

Posing for a picture at her desk, Ms. Drouhard takes a quick break as she prepares to leave for her departure. Her involvement in multiple programs at Millbrook keeps her busy all the time and makes every day a new adventure, which is why she will miss Millbrook, and MHS will miss her.

Olivia Burnette

Olivia Burnette, Staff Reporter

Millbrook High School is a wonderful environment for faculty and students to learn and function. However, while is it understandable why an assistant principal would stay for ten years of service, it is still an amazing feat. Millbrook’s Assistant Principal of Instruction, Ms. Tara Drouhard, is leaving Raleigh and Millbrook to pursue a job as a principal in Cleveland, Ohio. Today, January 22, is her last day of working at Millbrook and was named Tara Drouhard Day in celebration. Although due to the weather we are not at school to give Ms. Drouhard the send-off that she deserves, in her ten years working at Millbrook, she has touched many hearts and that will most definitely continue as she moves to Ohio. “She will leave a lasting impact on the Millbrook student body,” sophomore Carson Weddle expressed.
Ms. Drouhard grew up in Ohio and attended Ohio Northern University to obtain a Bachelor of Arts in Communication Arts. She then taught English at Princeton High school. In 2003, she moved to North Carolina where she obtained a Master’s Degree in Educational Leadership and School Administration. She was then recommended to intern at Millbrook High School. She fell in love with the school and has been working here since then.
Being an assistant principal at a school as large and busy as Millbrook can be difficult. Her main job as an assistant principal is building the master schedule for the school, but she also is involved in the Advanced Placement program, Student Services, Athletics, Math and Healthful Living departments, and she works with the Beginning Teacher coordinator. It is all of these responsibilities at Millbrook that qualifies her to become a principal of a brand new high school in Ohio, where she will have the responsibility of hiring staff, making purchases, and ensuring that the school is ready to open for students next fall.
One thing she mentioned about MHS is its amazing school spirit and how much the students and faculty take pride in their school. She gushes on her favorite memory of Millbrook being the year both men’s and women’s basketball teams went to play in the state championship game. The Chapel Hill arena Millbrook played in was not only filled with current students, but Wildcat alumni as well. “Millbrook’s school spirit is what makes this such a special community to be a part of,” Ms. Drouhard revealed. Mr. Edwards accidentally driving the opposing school’s bus all the way to Panther Creek made the night even more memorable.
Ms. Drouhard will leave a long-lasting impact on the students here. Junior Jessica Tomlinson remarks, “Ms. Drouhard leaving is bittersweet. I know that I will be very sad to see her go, but I know she will be an amazing principal in Cleveland.” Although Ms. Drouhard will be leaving Millbrook, she will definitely not be forgotten by all of the students and faculty that have gotten to know her and love her.