Creative Cats

Emily Vandersip

G. Copeland

Drawing the eyes of every audience member, Emily Vandersip has a passion for dance that is undeniable when she performs. She has dedicated endless time to the arts department at Millbrook in her four years, as well as in the wider community.

Laura Conoly, Features Editor

From the stage to the art studio, senior Emily Vandersip has immersed herself in the arts in Millbrook and in the community. Emily has been dancing for eight years and has tried every style, from the classical moves of ballet to the rhythmic style of jazz. Emily particularly enjoys modern dance and hip-hop, “I like that with modern you can really show the quality and emotion of a song through your body’s movement, and hip-hop is always fun and enjoyable since it is more upbeat.” She started her career as a dancer at CC and Company in Raleigh and has now reached their highest level of dance, core. She also participates with the dance company at Millbrook, the most selective level of dance Millbrook offers. Her fellow dancers and instructor, Mrs. Cummings, loves working with her: “Emily has been in the dance program since her freshman year. She is a silent hero. She works hard, choreographs for the dance company and contributes to the dance program,” Being a part of two dance companies requires time and dedication, something Emily most definitely has. When Emily is not working with Millbrook dance company, you will often find her at dance competitions with CC and Company. Through these dance conventions, Emily has won a multitude of scholarships that have allowed her to attend exclusive classes and conventions and widen her skills as a dancer. Emily is also an officer of the National Honor Society of Dance Arts at Millbrook and has worked tirelessly to help the chapter. When asked why she puts so much effort and energy into dance, she simply responds because she loves to dance: “I feel like everybody says this, but it really is a way to express myself and my love for music. I also love learning new moves and working to master them,” Emily said. Her love for dance is clear in her performances. She never fails to dazzle audiences, whether on the Millbrook stage or out in the community.

Aside from dance Emily is also a dedicated member of the art department at Millbrook. Her passion for art started in middle school, and she has now been doing art for five years. Over that time, she has found a love particularly for sculpting and created a multitude of amazing works. As Emily prepares to depart from Millbrook, her classmates, instructors, and fellow artists prepare to say goodbye to this truly talented and dedicated student.