Mr.Berglund: Teacher of the Year
The 2024-2025 Student Council Officers
Why does college break the bank?
Teacher Tribute: Mamma Yopp
‘How to Date Billy Walsh’ :  A roller coaster of a Rom-Com (Spoilers Ahead)
TikTok Ban

TikTok Ban

May 19, 2024

Teacher Tribute: Dr. Carr

Teacher Tribute: Dr. Carr

May 15, 2024

Class of 24’ Must do Things in North Carolina Before Leaving For College

May 14, 2024

Heartstopper Season 3: Everything You Need to Know

*Spoilers for Seasons 1 & 2*
Photo: Samuel Dore, Netflix

The British Netflix show “Heartstopper” has become one of Netflix’s most popular teen series. It’s based on the ongoing graphic novel series of the same name by Alice Oseman that currently has five volumes out and a sixth one set for the future. 

The T.V. show and novels follow Charlie Spring, a year 10 quiet schoolboy who gets seated next to year 11 rugby player, Nick Nelson, as the two develop a romantic relationship. The show focuses on navigating various friendships and relationships all with the complications of being a teenager. It features gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender and aro-ace (aromantic or asexual) characters and has been praised for its optimistic, but realistic portrayals of queer youth. 

The show also highlights the importance of mental health and brings awareness to eating disorders, anxiety disorders, and the effects of bullying. Millbrook freshman Mehr Kapoor shared, “I would say my favorite part of the show would be the genuine chemistry between the LGBTQ+ characters and relationships. I think the media lacks a lot of representation of simple, wholesome queer couples. Being part of the LGBTQ+ community is so stigmatized in the media and there are so few books, shows, and movies that depict young love being accepted in a same-sex couple.”

Season one focuses mainly on the buildup of Nick and Charlie’s friendship and its changes as it turns into something more. A romantic relationship for Charlie’s two best friends, Tao and Elle, is hinted towards. Elle introduces her two new friends who are in a relationship, Tara and Darcy, to their friend group. At the end of season one, Nick comes out as bisexual to his mom. He and Charlie also share their relationship with their friends; Tao, Elle, Isaac, Tara, and Darcy.

A good portion of season two is set in the backdrop of Paris as the school’s French classes take a trip there. Nick and Charlie learn how to overcome their struggles as well as eventually come out as a couple to their entire school. Tara and Darcy’s relationship also undergoes much development, Tao and Elle become a couple, and Isaac realizes that he is asexual. Charlie hesitates to send a message to Nick saying he loves him, and then the season ends on that cliffhanger. Millbrook junior Cloey Frankel shared, “During season three I’d like to see Charlie focus on himself more… I feel like he threw himself into things he wasn’t ready for and it kind of felt out of place.”

Season three is set to take on a more mature tone and will explore topics like the characters’ university ambitions as well as Charlie’s struggle with an eating disorder becoming more apparent. The word “love” and what it means for the main characters is sure to be a focal point in the season as well, with it being the title of the season opener. The rest of the season’s titles have not yet been revealed, but it can be expected the show will have the same eight episodes as the previous seasons.

Hayley Atwell, known for her role as Peggy Carter in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, has been announced as Nick’s Aunt Diane. Her character will likely have a much bigger role than she did in the graphic novels, as Nick’s mother’s actress Olivia Colman will unfortunately not return to “Heartstopper” season three due to scheduling conflicts. Aunt Diane will take Nick on a summer trip to Menorca and give him important advice. Other casting announcements include Eddie Marsan as Charlie’s therapist Geoff, and “Bridgerton’s” Jonathan Bailey who will make a cameo as Charlie’s writer celebrity crush Jack Maddox.

An official date for season three has yet to be announced, but Netflix has confirmed “Heartstopper” will be back on screens in October of this year.