Facing the devastation of the atomic bomb

en.wikipedia.org

Devoted to memorializing the people killed in the bombing of Hiroshima, the Hiroshima Peace Memorial serves as a reminder of the damage done by nuclear weaponry. It has not been confirmed if President Obama will be visiting this and other memorials on his historic trip to Hiroshima.

Laura Conoly, Staff Reporter

Seventy one years after the devastating attacks on Hiroshima, President Obama will be making history as the first sitting US President to visit the historic city later this month. On August 6, 1945, the United States dropped the first atomic weapon ever used on the Japanese city of Hiroshima, later to be followed by the bombing of Nagasaki three days later. Since then, no current president has ever visited the city; the highest ranking official to visit Hiroshima since the attacks has been current Secretary of State John Kerry .

The bomb on Hiroshima killed over 80,000 people on impact, leading many to think President Obama is going to Hiroshima with plans to apologize for the decision to drop the bomb, causing a global debate. The commonly known reason for the use of nuclear weapons in World War II is that without them the war would have lasted much longer and cost many more American lives. Back in 2012, Obama was criticized by his then opponent Mitt Romney for going on a so called “apology tour” for American foreign policy. Japanese civilians are split on if an apology is necessary or worthwhile, many simply hoping that he reaffirms the United States goals of disarmament. Senior Amani McKenzie says, “I do think he should apologize, and make note of the devastation it has brought them for so many years.” The Press Secretary has released the President’s plans to focus on his continual pursuit of peace and nuclear disarmament.

Many are wondering how Obama’s actions in Hiroshima will compare to his moving speech in Prague seven years ago, which shared his goal of nuclear disarmament. He said he felt the United States had a moral obligation to start  this process, being the only country to have ever engaged in the use of nuclear weapons. Sophomore Nate McDonald says, “I think nuclear bomb disarmament is definitely necessary because for something catastrophic to happen, like the bombings in Hiroshima and Nagasaki could lead to crippling nations.” It has been confirmed that the president does not plan to deliver a major address as he did in Prague. Another item that many are hoping is a part of the President’s itinerary is the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum, dedicated to documenting the bombing and its victims as well as the goal of world peace. As the world awaits President Obama’s decisions to come, there is no doubt it will be a monumental event.