Reviewing fashion and makeup trends of 2016

Janna Edgar

Sporting dramatic eye makeup, aspiring makeup artist Janna Edgar shows off her uniqueness and creativity with this look. Makeup like this became very popular in 2016.

Jocelyn Marshall, Staff Reporter

The year 2016 was full of new ideas, creativity, and innovative technology. Fashion and makeup statements also changed a good amount as well. Heavy, dramatic makeup looks became much more common among teenage girls, and most people were able to develop their own unique styles. Many inspirations for different styles came from celebrities or beauty gurus on YouTube, Instagram, and Twitter. Social media played a huge role for how people saw fashion in 2016.

The social media fashion and makeup takeover seemed to have one overall trend: dressing casual outfits up, and dressing nice outfits down. An example of this would be someone wearing a nice fitted dress that you might see on a dinner date, with a pair of Adidas sneakers or vans. Or going the opposite way, a person would wear a distressed t-shirt, ripped jeans paired with a pair of nice ankle heels. To top it all off, most of these outfits were made complete by a full-face of makeup. Rapper Kanye West’s Yeezy clothing line might have had an effect on how popular distressed clothing has become. Instagram models have a very fierce fashion; however, high school style was a little more tame. Bomber jackets, high waisted jeans, over-the-knee boots and choker necklaces all became very popular. Along with the clothing, slicked back buns and dutch braids were cute new hairstyles.

Makeup became a very important addition to someone’s look of the day. Makeup is a great way to be creative, and many consider it like an art when done at a professional level. Sophomore Sam McCrary said, “The color baby pink was really popular, and I liked that a lot. Also 2016 was definitely the year of good eyebrows.” She is very right. 2016 was the dawn of glowy faces and thick, perfect eyebrows. Not to mention, Kylie Jenner started her  own line of liquid lipsticks with matching glosses, and this became a big trend.

We should all expect makeup to be a trend that continues to grow in  years to come, and fashion to become more creative. Hopefully, the creativity and uniqueness of last year’s fashion will carry on into the new year and maybe turn into something even more exciting.