Texting Saves Lives

Text-to-911

London Gardner

Texting the police is just this simple: enter “911” in the number field, enter your location and emergency and the police will receive your message. With just two quick steps, this quiet form of communicating with the police makes safety that much easier and is a helpful way to make sure you get help in an emergency.

London Gardner, Staff Reporter

Everyone knows what the numbers “9-1-1” mean, but “text-to-911” is not a known concept. Since 2014, citizens have been able to text the police in the case of an emergency where they are not able to talk on the phone. At first,  AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, and Sprint were the only four companies that support texting 911. By the end of 2014, all IP-based text applications and other wireless carriers were expected to support text-to-911. Although this is true, some dispatchers may not allow texting their locations, so it would be wise to search if your station supports it before you find yourself in a situation when you need it. To text 911, all you have to do is follow two simple steps: enter 911 in the number field and simply state your emergency and location. The only problem is that the police are not able to initiate the texting. This would be helpful in situations where the person in trouble was disconnected or is not able to speak on the phone any longer.

Recently, this flaw in the police system was put to the test. Johnson County’s station received a call from a woman who said she was in the trunk of a moving car. When the call was disconnected, the dispatcher had the bright idea of texting the woman from a phone nearby. It turned out she was able to text, but not talk on the phone in the fear of being heard. The dispatcher’s fast thinking and ability to text the woman first is what saved her from potential danger. Because of this heroic act, the police force is thinking about getting smart phones for all of the dispatchers so they are able to text people in danger.

In an age where texting is the most dominant form of communication, being able to text for help is a vital way to possibly save yourself. Junior James Hatch said, “I think it’s helpful because when you’re in certain situations, and you can’t talk on the phone, you’re able to text the police for help.” For something as crucial as contacting the police in an emergency, there should be many ways to communicate with them other than just calling. Freshman Aliya Ward said, “I think being able to text 911 would be helpful because some people do not have phones; however, they do have iPods which have the ability to text on apps or use iMessage.” Adding to the traditional way of reaching 911 from just calling to calling and texting could be the difference between life and death.