From TV set to stage: the Addams Family comes to Millbrook

L. Conoly

Teaching the devoted ensemble members, Melissa DePierro is bringing back the time old tradition of student choreographers to the spring musical. This year’s musical was the the Addams Family and the Millbrook students were sure to bring those wacky characters to life.

Laura Conoly, Features Editor

Everyone can recall the signature snaps and quirky characters from the Addams Family show in 1964, and that has now made its way to Millbrook. The classic story takes with a new twist, as Wednesday Addams is now a teenager and has fallen in love with a boy who does not share the same dark streak as the Addams. Through series of secret-keeping, musical numbers, and a lot of mischief, the Addams rediscover their family values.

The Millbrook Theatre department has taken this musical by storm, building a 22, rotating set for the show to encapsulate the signature Addams’ home. Another interesting technical element is that the ancestors, a group of ten dead Addams past family members helping the family come together, each have a different persona and costume. The show also has a student choreographer, which has not happened in over ten years! Senior Melissa Depierro has gone the extra mile by not only being a part of the show, but also choreographing and teaching every dance number for the show. Melissa DePierro said, “I was incredibly nervous at first because I was going to be teaching my peers, but cast is incredible to work with. Everyone has been bringing their A-game even though dance isn’t everyone’s strong suit. I love choreographing because it’s like bringing your version of the story to life with your own twist on it. This show in particular has been difficult because many people already have a picture in their mind when they think of ‘The Addams Family’, but it’s been exciting to try and develop the show in an unexpected way.”

The cast began rehearsal in January and have worked tirelessly in chorus, theatrical, and dance rehearsals to put the show together. They typically stayed after school until five o’clock, as well as two Saturday rehearsals. Playing the iconic Wednesday Addams is Sydney Hewett, a senior and veteran member of past Millbrook productions. In regards to playing the oddball character, Sydney Hewett said, “It’s a challenge trying to protect some of the very traditional aspects of her character that you would see in the old TV show while also incorporating new parts of her personality that you see in the musical, as she’s grown up to be quite the lovestruck teen.Wednesday is such an intriguing character with so many different layers to uncover–some of which aren’t so different from my own. I’m very lucky to have this opportunity to work with awesome directors and cast members to try and give tribute to all the different sides of the iconic Wednesday Addams character that we all know and love–no matter how creepy!” Other members of the cast include Gabby Goodman, Carson Weddle, Logan Powers, and Lily Triolo.

The show premiered March 9 with a stellar response from the audience. It was absolutely not an event to be missed, because who does not want to know what it is like to be an Addams?