• 2 yearbooks left! $90! See Mrs. Putnam in room 1411.

Bump! Set! Spike!

Boys take on volleyball for a good cause

Lining up together, the players prepare to start practice. The practices let the players get to know their teammates and teach them how to play volleyball correctly.

Taylor Rebne

Taylor Rebne

Jocelyn Marshall, Staff Reporter

Every year around spring, Millbrook MEB student organization, with the help of Mr. Jones,  holds a volleyball tournament called Volleybros. This event is made specifically so that boys can participate in volleyball and to raise money for the St. Baldrick’s foundation. It costs five dollars to come and watch the games which will be tonight, April 18. In addition to buying a ticket, there is the opportunity to support or donate to the St. Baldrick’s fund at the event.  Students and faculty that participated in the St. Baldrick’s event will get to come in for free. Most importantly, all the proceeds from the Volleybros event will go to the St. Baldrick’s fund for childhood cancer.

At Millbrook, there are only official volleyball teams for girls. With Volleybros, guys at the school get a chance to have fun with their friends on a volleyball team and raise money for a good cause.  Sophomore Nicholas King said, “I’ve always loved volleyball, so I thought it would be fun to learn more, and make new friends. That’s why I was interested and decided to sign up.” Volleybros gives students the opportunity to learn something new, make new friends, and have fun on a team. Also, any student who signs up for Volleybros will get a chance to play. Students from all grade levels can be on a team. The teams are separated by grade level: the freshman team, sophomores, juniors, and seniors. The freshman play against the sophomores, while the juniors will play the seniors in the first round of games. These teams require no tryouts. However, the Allstar team holds tryouts and accepts players from any grade level. The Allstar team is a more advanced team presented with the challenge of playing against the girls Varsity Volleyball team. Girls from the school’s volleyball teams can assist in coaching the boys as well. Also, the student body president, David Flowers will be announcing the each of the games. Each of the players have to go to the practices and donate money to the fundraiser in order to participate in the games. So make sure to come out with friends to support a good cause and your favorite team on April 18!