French Club celebrates French culture

Ms. Little

Performing poetry as the French poet, Verlaine, freshman Alexander Machalicky takes a break to stroke his beard. The French Club won a variety of awards at the French Festival.

Alex McCloskey, Section Editor

The French Club is one of the many organizations representing Millbrook in more ways than one. Every other Tuesday, the French Club members meet in adviser Ms. Little’s room, which is room 801-07. Participants of this after school activity engage in many planning drills for upcoming events. The president of the club, senior Natalie Brooks leads meetings to make sure things get accomplished. These events include the French Festival and International Festival. The club works during meetings by planning what they can do during these events to represent Millbrook and the French community at Millbrook the best they can.

At the French Festival, French Club members won a first and second place award for Beginning Theatre Performance, a first place award for Beginning Traditional Songs, a second place for Intermediate Theatre Performance, and four other Poetry awards. While performing and showing off the hard work produced at this festival, club members were able to learn more from peers at the festival and have a great time. During poetry events, students would recite poems to crowds in a theatre-type performance. The efforts and dedication of French students at Millbrook to represent their school so well is exemplary.

Non-French Club member, junior Connor Root said, “I had Mrs. Little as a teacher for French last year and her ability to educate me of the language more and more just got me even more attached to the language.” Ms. Little, serving as the adviser of the French Club, led sing-a-longs at the French Festival for all of the participants to follow along. The songs included traditional and non-traditional French music. French students were able to assist with Ms. Little with the sing-a-long.

During the International Festival, a few of the French Club members were chosen to make crepes to give out to people. Vice President of the club, senior Alex Lovick said with a chuckle, “Most of the people we were making the crepes for thought that they were pancakes.” Members running the crepe booth handmade over 200 crepes and were also giving background on why the crepes are so important to the French culture. This group of dedicated French students is always open to new members at any levels of knowledge of the French language.