• 2 yearbooks left! $90! See Mrs. Putnam in room 1411.

Music Now

Flows of Rap Music

Performing in front of thousands, Flavor Flav was of the few men from this infamous music group Public Enemy. Public Enemy was one of the most influential Rap groups, especially with their song, “Fight The Power.”

upload.wikimedia.org

upload.wikimedia.org

Kayla Mercer, Section Editor

Rap music has been used for expression and even to stand up against social injustices in the past. It has influenced other genres of music, fashion, and even the teen culture across America. Of course, like any other music genre, Rap has a lot of subgenres within itself. Rap has Bounce, Dirty South, East Coast rap, and even Gangsta rap subgenres.

One of the first artists considered a rapper, Dj Kool Herc, emerged at the end of the 1970s. Dj Kool Herc (real name Clive Campbell) is a Jamaican immigrant who began to deliver simple raps at high school parties. The raps were claimed to be inspired by the Jamaican  tradition of toasting. He is now given the credit as the originator of Hip-Hop/Rap music in The Bronx. By the late 70s, Sugarhill Gang released the groundbreaking hit, “Rapper’s Delight.” Once released, tons of artists emerged, including rap groups like Run-DMC,  N.W.A and Public Enemy, also started using Rap music to express themselves politically. Eventually, there were many female and white rap/ hip-hop artists to make a name for themselves in the 80s and 90s. Those included the Beastie Boys and Salt-N-Pepa who also reached the top of the charts.

Rap is an art form. Every artist has a different style or flow. From ad libs and to the beats, every artist has a way to characterize themselves through their music. A rapper’s flow has to with the rhythmic structure that appears in the rapper’s words and music. According to RapGenius, the nature of a rapper’s rhymes, sentences and the repetition of certain rhythms or the creation of new ones all describe the flow of the artist.

Rap music nowadays is always evolving. From rapping about their pasts to their cars, Rap artists have the room to inspire and create throughout the entire genre. Many past rappers like Jay-z, Dr. Dre and many more have paved the way for Future, Chance the Rapper and J Cole and countless others. Although, Rap music has an historic past, the continuous evolution of this music is inevitable.