Planned Parenthood

Have they planned for defunding?

Protesting on the streets, supporters of Planned Parenthood vocalize their opinions. The possibility of Planned Parenthood being defunded has caused controversy in the political world.

wikimedia.org

Jessica Urbanski, Section Editor

Several things rule the media in today’s society. Celebrities, fashion, and politics are a few subjects that can be encountered when checking news apps, online news, or a paper copy of the newspaper. Planned Parenthood has been in the media spotlight for several weeks now. Political candidates from both parties have spoken about this topic recently mainly because of colliding opinions from both Liberal and Conservative points of view.

Planned Parenthood is a nationwide service that provides healthcare, forms of birth control, and support for women and their futures. In the United States, there are over 700 healthcare centers run by 59 independent local affiliates. In addition to national services, Planned Parenthood is backed by global partners to ensure the health and wellness of individuals as well as families in our country. Each year, 2.7 million women visit a Planned Parenthood location for affordable and reliable healthcare. Some of the services offered at the numerous Planned Parenthood locations include Pap tests, breast examinations, cancer examinations, and sexually transmitted diseases tests.

Despite their positive service to the public, many people oppose the government’s funding of Planned Parenthood. Congress members from both the Democratic and Republican parties have been debating for weeks on end. Now it has become possible that the government may even shut down in order to stop the funding of Planned Parenthood. Approximately 59% of the Republican Party strongly opposes funding Planned Parenthood while approximately 91% of the Democratic Party supports funding. Each year, the government provides $500 million to Planned Parenthood for healthcare services. Republican congress members have begun to pose a claim that Planned Parenthood should be defunded. Senior Marianne Valino said, “If Planned Parenthood was defunded, many parents, especially single women, would be in critical danger because they aren’t being assisted in difficult situations, and I think Planned Parenthood allows them to have a stable foundation that [many] families can’t provide alone.”

Many of the supporters of defunding stand their ground due to religious and personal beliefs. 3% of the 700 Planned Parenthood clinics offer abortions. Approximately 46% of Americans are Pro-Life, which is why they oppose keeping clinics open. Others believe that there are several other options for women to find healthcare.

According to political researchers, defunding of this program could throw off the balance of public spending. In total, it would cost taxpayers an additional $650 million over the next 10 years. Sophomore Frances Deese said, “Defunding Planned Parenthood takes away people’s right of healthcare and information of what’s going on with their bodies. If people were to just educate themselves more, they would see how many helpful services are offered besides abortions and that this agency is necessary for millions.”

Without these services, women and men around the country would be at a loss of a valuable healthcare and safe ways of birth control. What will the final decision be? The answer lies with congress.