Cats on The Prowl: Mason Fortune and Sydney Spainhour

The Barkley Marathons

The Barkley Marathons

Foods Around the World: Japan

wikimedia.commons
Udon noodles are often considered by a lot of Japanese people as a comfort food. The dish can be found almost everywhere in Japan and is one of the most popular dishes to eat around the country.

Japan is famously known for its noodle dish, ramen noodles, is a global sensation enjoyed by people all over the world. However, ramen isn’t the only noodle dish available to those looking to get a taste of Japanese cuisine. In fact, another type of noodle that is very commonly eaten in Japan is called udon. These noodles are just as good (and some might argue) better than ramen noodles. But—as some readers might wonder—what’s the difference?

While no one has been able to quite pin down the origin of udon noodles, the dish has been famous since the Edo era of Japan in the 1600s. The dish has grown in popularity over the years and is currently found in restaurants all over Japan, but it is most famous in Kagawa. This region is so popular for udon that it has been nicknamed the udon prefecture!

Though they might look similar, it’s important to note that udon and ramen are two completely different dishes—though they’re both delicious! Udon noodles are made from wheat flour, water, and salt and served in a dashi-based broth; dashi being a seafood based broth often made from dried kelp, mushrooms, as well as other dried ingredients. Unlike ramen noodles, these noodles are typically pretty thick and aren’t made with an egg. Furthermore, in ramen noodle dishes the broth is given a greater focus with richer flavor whereas in udon dishes the broth is typically lighter and not as strong.

Some of the most popular flavors of udon noodles are Kake udon, a traditional dish made with kakejiru broth (a type of dashi broth); Nabeyaki udon, a soup which features vegetables, protein, and an egg in addition to the noodles and broth, and Yaki udon, where the noodles are stir-fried with vegetables and pork and covered in a soy sauce.

While unfortunately there are limited options to try udon for yourself at restaurants in the area, here are two places to try out that have udon on the menu: Ton Noodles in Raleigh as well as Kurama Sushi & Noodle Express in Chapel Hill. Additionally, for some of our more hands-on readers here is a link to a website where you’ll find some easy to follow recipes for several different types of udon. Take the chance to try udon noodles out for yourself and try out one of these places!