National Honors Society 2024 Induction ceremony
Morgan Wallen Arrested on Felony Charge

The Rebirth of the USWNT

Young USA stars: Jaedyn Shaw, Trinity Rodman and Mia Fishel embracing during a match. Photo: Brennan Asplen, Getty Images

The United States Women’s National Team, or USWNT, has long reigned as one of the best teams in the women’s soccer world. The team was ranked the No. 1 team by FIFA for a total of 13 years and has never dropped below 3rd. During this year’s FIFA Women’s World Cup, many questioned if the era of dominance for the USWNT was over after they narrowly made it out of their group stage and failed to advance from the round of 16 after going to penalty kicks against Sweden. 

When asked what she thinks the team needs to improve on after their World Cup results, sophomore Ellie Wilson said,  “I think they lack intensity when playing sometimes. If they really try to win more 50-50 balls, it would really increase victories.” 

There were many other opinions after the Women’s World Cup, and heavy criticism fell on the team’s former head coach, Vlatko Andonovski. This was notably because of his lack of substitutions and primarily defensive strategy. Following the 2023 Women’s World Cup, he resigned from the position of head coach after four years. Assistant coach Twila Kilgore became the interim coach and has remained as such. On November 15, Chelsea of the Women’s Super League’s coach, Emma Hayes, was announced to become the new USWNT coach following the end of Chelsea’s season. 

Hayes has led each of her teams to victory in various championships and has received a long list of awards herself. Recently, she was named The Best FIFA Women’s Coach of the Year in 2021 and is a finalist for the award in 2023 as well. Hayes has already made her influence on the USWNT, though she will not officially step into the position of head coach until just two months before the 2024 Summer Olympics. 

Sylvia Bullock, a co-host of the SheaButter Football Club, a podcast that covers women’s soccer with a focus on highlighting and amplifying Black players through analysis, education, and outreach, shared her opinion on what Emma Hayes will bring to the USWNT.

“She’s very good at developing talent, particularly young talent. She’s also really able to give confidence to young players, and if they’re performing well, she lets them play. Not all coaches do that. […] I think she’s never really afraid to give people chances, or sit people down based on performance,” Bullock stated.

“Secondly, I think she’ll bring culture and structure. They really need that with such a large group of young players, and that’s why I think she’ll sneak a few veterans in there because that’s what she does well with Chelsea. She’s used their veterans to establish the culture, so that when you walk in on day one you understand the expectations and [Hayes] isn’t the only one holding you accountable.”

Sporting director Matt Crocker stated that Hayes had a hand in the team’s roster for December’s International Friendly games against China PR, which is evident. Only half of the players were on the 2023 FIFA World Cup Roster, and veterans like Alex Morgan, Alyssa Naeher, Becky Sauerbraun, and Crystal Dunn were left off and their positions were filled by young players with few caps. 

The December friendlies roster features three teenagers and nine total players who were born after the USWNT’s 1999 Women’s World Cup win. Players who earned their first caps during the two games against China PR include three midfielders: 23-year-old Jenna Nighswonger (who recently earned the title of the National Women’s Soccer League 2023 Rookie of the Year), 18-year-old Olivia Moultrie, and 20-year-old Korbin Albert. The December 2 game resulted in a score of 3-0 and the December 5 game resulted in a score of 2-1, with the USWNT taking the win over China PR in both games.

When asked what young players she’s most excited to see grow on the field, Bullock said, “I’ve been really big on Mia Fishel for a really long time, so I’m glad that she’s finally gotten the chance. I think it obviously helps that she plays for Emma Hayes already, that’s probably an advantage for her. In terms of what we need from a number 9 player she kind of has everything, and her hold-up play in particular has been incredibly helpful in the few appearances she’s made.” 

She also shared, “I’m also really big on Jaedyn Shaw, [she and Mia Fishel] have really great chemistry. I don’t think we’ve had that type of chemistry with two players in a really long time, and they don’t play together outside of the USWNT so I think that’s very fascinating.” 

On October 29, 22-year-old Fishel and 19-year-old Shaw scored back-to-back goals in the team’s 3-0 win against Colombia.

The USWNT ends the 2023 calendar year undefeated in regulation time play. Six players have made their debuts under interim coach Twila Kilgore, and there is much to look forward to when current Chelsea coach Emma Hayes takes over in May of 2024 and prepares the team for the 2024 Summer Olympics. Will the United States’ young team build back and produce a strong result after the disappointment of their 2023 World Cup results?

View Comments (3)