What’s The Deal With Cliffhangers?
Teachers Are Struggling, There Needs To Be Change
The Triangle’s Spring Flowers are in Bloom
Unravel the Pages: “Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe”
Marine Ecology Classes Explore the Waters

April 25, 2024

Cats on The Prowl: Mason Fortune and Sydney Spainhour

April 25, 2024

The Barkley Marathons

The Barkley Marathons

April 23, 2024

Hamas Leader Targeted in Beirut Along Six Others

The aftermath of the drone attack in a suburb in Dahiyeh, Lebanon.

Lebanese media report that Arouri, a deputy political leader of Hamas, was killed in a drone strike in southern Beirut on Tuesday along with six others including two Hamas military commanders and four other members.

The drone attack occurred on a Hamas office in the southern Beirut suburb of Dahiyeh. Video footage on social media showed a car in flames and severe damage to buildings in what is a busy residential area. Dahiyeh is known as a stronghold of Hezbollah, a Shiite political and military organization

For decades, Israel has targeted Palestinian Hamas leaders in Lebanon. However, al-Arouri’s death marks the end of an 18-year hiatus in a long series of both attempted and successful political assassinations.

Hezbollah said in a statement that it considered Arouri’s death “…to be a serious assault on Lebanon, its people, its security, sovereignty, and resistance, and the highly symbolic and significant political and security messages it contains.” Hezbollah describes this attack as a dangerous development in the ongoing conflict, and asserts its unwavering dedication to ensuring that this crime will never pass without response and punishment. 

Hezbollah has a significant presence in Lebanon. It emerged in the 1980’s during the Lebanese Civil War and has since evolved into a key player in the country’s politics. It extends beyond Lebanon’s borders, as Hezbollah maintains strong ties with Iran and Syria.

One of the recurring challenges Lebanon faces is the impact of regional tensions, especially with Israel. The historical animosity between Hezbollah and Israel has led to periodic conflicts, with Israel often conducting military operations in Lebanese territory. These actions have posed significant threats to the stability of the region. The actions of these entities have broader implications, affecting not only the citizens of Lebanon but also the stability of the entire region. 

Several instances in history show Israel’s military actions in Lebanon through airstrikes and bombings. One notable event is the 2006 Lebanon War. In response to the kidnapping of two Israeli soldiers by Hezbollah militants, Israel launched a large-scale military operation in Lebanon. The conflict resulted in extensive bombings and airstrikes across Lebanese territory, causing significant infrastructure damage and civilian casualties.

Going back further, another example is the 1982 Lebanon War when Israel invaded Lebanon, occupying the south of the country for 18 years, with the objective of removing the Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO) from southern Lebanon. During this conflict, Israeli forces conducted airstrikes and bombings in various parts of Lebanon, leading to widespread destruction and loss of life.

Norman Solomon, a media critic and founder of The Institute for Public Accuracy asserts that, “The Israeli invasion of Lebanon in 1982 was a watershed. It was Israel breaking out beyond its  immediate region to aggressively attack another country and it was a bit of a shock to many people.” By the time the fighting was over, the Israeli military killed 17,000 Lebanese and Palestinians , and wounded another 30,000, almost all of them civilians.

In 2024, in the wake of the strike in Beirut, Lebanese villagers in the south live in sight of Israeli settlements on what older people still remember as Palestinian land. Along with the dead and wounded, another casualty of the many ongoing conflicts with Israel has been the loss of faith of Lebanese families that despite the chaos of their country, that they could live in peace, safety, and harmony with their neighboring country.