What’s The Deal With Cliffhangers?
Teachers Are Struggling, There Needs To Be Change
The Triangle’s Spring Flowers are in Bloom
Unravel the Pages: “Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe”
Marine Ecology Classes Explore the Waters

April 25, 2024

Cats on The Prowl: Mason Fortune and Sydney Spainhour

April 25, 2024

The Barkley Marathons

The Barkley Marathons

April 23, 2024

Rising Crime Rates In North Carolina Schools

Photo provided by Avery Grantham
Fight at Millbrook High School that occurred early morning on February 2nd. Broken up by Ms. Goblet

The News & Observer recently reported that crime rates for public schools in North Carolina saw an 18 percent increase in the 2022-2023 school year. In total, there were 13,193 reported crimes and acts of violence that year. Crime in public schools is on the rise whether it is threats to the school or everyday fist fights. Rates are expected to rise again due to recent events that have taken place across the state in schools of every level. 

The shooting threats at UNC-Chapel Hill, the stabbing at Southeast Raleigh, and even the threats/fights that have taken place at Millbrook High School will be reflected in this statistic. Responding to these numerous incidents, Wake County released the following statement: “Our Board of Education has taken proactive measures to support and enhance our safety measures by authorizing an independent security assessment of every school and all of our administrative facilities.” The Board is currently implementing more security measures that were recommended, but, this does not include the desired option among parents, the metal detector. 

Teachers, parents, and students alike have expressed concern over this issue. Elise Edmonson, a senior at Millbrook High School commented, “Shooting-wise I definitely think it’s an issue that needs to be addressed, preferably by a tightening of gun laws. There’s no reason we should have to be prepared for an active shooter just because we’re at school.” Students and Parents are currently waiting for the State School Board to release a statement or implement stricter rules/laws so that they feel safe sending their children to school. Until then, there are no indications that reported statistics will improve.