Cats on The Prowl: Mason Fortune and Sydney Spainhour

The Barkley Marathons

The Barkley Marathons

The History of the Super Bowl Halftime Show

The Super Bowl halftime show has become a major event talked about by many. From the start in the 1960s with marching bands to now, the halftime show has changed and grown across the country.

Football season is a time for fans, family and friends to come together. Whether it’s to support a team, or have fun with each other, watching the games can be fun for many reasons. Many Americans look forward to the Super Bowl for the food, game and the halftime show. 

This year’s halftime show was performed by Usher, and social media and people that watched already have a lot to comment. Each year it’s hard to say if the game itself or the halftime performance is going to be the leading topic discussed. 

The first ever halftime show performed at a Super Bowl was in 1967. In 57 years a lot has changed with the type of performance, the people performing and the style of music.  In the first show in 1967, the performance was done by University of Arizona and Grambling State marching bands. This style of performance done by marching bands continued into the following years, with the later addition of big stars. 

At the 1977 super bowl, the crowd had its first participation during the song “It’s a Small World.” The fans waved colored cards on cue, and this began a line of fan involvement during these shows. 

The 1986 Super Bowl was the start of super stages. This began the era of big performances, with big names and big stages. Drill teams, Rockettes, magicians and circus performers were highlights of these performances. These performances were met with large name bands and singers which made the half time shows more successful than ever. 

Micheal Jackson kicked off the new era of solo artists leading the show at the 1993 Super Bowl. Ending the 90’s had stars including the Judds, Patti LaBelle, Diana Ross, James Brown, Queen Latifah, Stevie Wonder and many more. 

The half time shows from 2000 to 2010 held popular stars including The Rolling Stones, Prince, and Bruce Springsteen. Junior Molly Clemmer said, “I wish I was alive to watch Prince’s halftime show. I love his music, and I would have loved to watch that.” These stars were very popular in the late 90s and early 2000s, so making an appearance in these Super Bowls started the trend of watching the games for both the football and the singer at the halftime show. 

The 2010’s saw the inclusion of popular bands and singers that are popular today with Gen Z. These artists also started creating more creative and elaborate stages to dance and sing on as well. Some of the most notable of this decade were Katy Perry, Bruno Mars and Beyoncé. 

In recent years, the Super Bowl halftime show has become a very popular event each year. The 2023 show performed by Rihanna is still loved by many. Senior Laileni Rodriguez said, “I like how Rhianna stopped singing to put on makeup. It added so much to the performance, and it’s still one of my favorite halftime shows so far!” 

Super Bowl halftime shows have changed a lot over the years. Whether fans watch the game, commercials or performance in the middle, all of them will be talked about in the following days.