Cats on The Prowl: Mason Fortune and Sydney Spainhour

The Barkley Marathons

The Barkley Marathons

Tucker Carlson Interviews Putin

Putin talking to Tucker Carlson

Russian President Vladimir Putin and former Fox News host Tucker Carlson had a more than two-hour interview released online on Thursday, February 6. The interview was posted on Carlson’s website at about 6 p.m., and Carlson’s account on X, formerly known as Twitter, also posted it.
The two discussed went over multiple important topics, including the long history of Russia and the ongoing war between Ukraine and Russia. Putin started the interview with a 20-minute rant about the history of Russia. Putin told Carlson that Russia has not achieved its war aims regarding the invasion of Ukraine and explained how even though the history is long, it is also essential to the conversation. At one point, Carlson flattered Putin and said it was not dull but added, “I just don’t know how it’s relevant.”
It was Putin’s first interview with a Western-based media figure since his forces declared war on Ukraine two years ago. He delivered many familiar talking points and comfortably engaged with Carlson through conversation. Carlson has consistently repeated conspiracy theories, misinformation, and falsehoods and was criticized by the public for speaking to Putin while Russia continued to bombard Ukraine.
“I hope he will be asked why he kills civilians and hits residential buildings,” said Andriy Yermak, the chief of staff for Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy. He said Carlson was granted the interview because his position “differs from the rest.” Reporting from Russia during the war has proved dangerous for domestic and foreign journalists after Moscow enacted draconian legislation that criminally penalizes criticism of its armed forces.
After a two-hour conversation with an individual in the community who was born in Moscow, my perspective changed even after listening to Putin’s side of the story based on the interview. E.C. shared her personal history, her view on the war between Ukraine and Russia, Putin’s ultimate goal, and how the media is about Russians and Ukrainians living in the United States and their own country.
Ekaterina Cady, a Raleigh-based mother and business owner, started the conversation strongly biased toward the safety of people in Ukraine and Russia. We talked about her family, including how her mother and other relatives live in Russia, and she has no contact with them. She fears that Putin is making a huge mistake toward his own people.
“He boasts about how much he cares for the people, but it is not acceptable. My Russia is not like this. Putin is ruthless.” After hearing this, I asked, “Do you think Putin is evil?” She said, “He wants his land, and he is not going to stop until there is a change.”
‘Ekat’ is a more conservative Russian who believes that Tucker Carlson is brave enough to stand face-to-face with Putin himself. Even as somebody who spent 22 years in a country they love, Eaterina still believes the country has failed. The further the conversation went, the more personal it got, but she wanted to end with, “Russia strong, Russian people are strong. Because I am Russian, I am strong. The Russian people are going to be okay, and the Ukrainian people are not forgotten.”