Cinco De Mayo

The Mexican Holiday

A common way of celebrating Cinco De Mayo is with music. Many festivals hold mariachi music and etc to showcase the Mexican culture.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/

Kayla Mercer, Staff Reporter

Today, which is Cinco De Mayo, means fifth of May in English. It is a Mexican holiday that is for the remembrance of the Mexican Army army’s victory against Napoleon III in the 1862. It is seen as a minor holiday in Mexico, but in the U.S.A this holiday is in celebration of the Mexican culture. Many Cinco De Mayo traditions involve parades, mariachi music performances, and street festivals around the cities and towns in Mexico and the U.S.A.

In Mexico, this holiday is usually just recognized by the state of Puebla. This is the state where General Zaragoza led his soldiers  to victory. In this area, the traditions on Cinco De Mayo may consist of military parades and reenactments of the Battle of Puebla. However, since Cinco De Mayo is not a federal holiday, every bank, office and stores stay open to the public. Junior Morelia Argueta said, “My family doesn’t formally celebrate Cinco De Mayo because we’re Salvadoran, but when we do, we always participate in festivals that are held.” This illustrates how widespread known Cinco De Mayo is.

In America areas that are heavily occupied by Mexican-Americans, there is  many parties, parades and mariachi music performances and mexican folk dancing happening on this day . There is also traditional foods held at festivals and celebrations such as tacos and mole poblano. In America, many people see Cinco De Mayo is understood as a celebration for Mexican heritage. Freshman Emma Finerghty said, “It is a holiday to celebrate and recognize the Mexican culture.” This is where some activists disagree. In the 1960s, Chicano activists raised awareness of the holiday and it’s history of the victory of Europeans. Nowadays, Cinco De Mayo the huge festivals are held in places like Houston, Chicago and Los Angeles.

Even around the Triangle area, there are things to do to get in the Cinco De Mayo spirit. Here in Raleigh, Moe’s Southwest Grill is having a special where all burritos are being sold for $5. Taco Bell is bringing back their Spicy Diablo sauce, and Chubby’s Tacos is also having specials for the holiday. Even though Cinco De Mayo is not a federal holiday, there are many ways people celebrate this historical day.