An ocean exploring invention

n.wikipedia.org

Standing in all of its glory, the underwater exosuit created by Phil Nuytten advances exploration under the ocean. This suit has amazing capabilities while underwater to up to 1,000 feet.

Alex McCloskey, Staff Reporter

So much of the ocean has yet to be explored, but with a singular invention, exploration may have become a lot more simple. Created by Phil Nuytten of Nuytco Research, the underwater exosuit is a step up from his previous inventions for underwater exploration. He has spent 40 years creating deep sea diving products that have expanded exploration of the ocean’s depths. This suit is his latest diving product that has eliminated all problems with ocean pressure. This suit can descend 1,000 feet in a matter of minutes and could stay there for hours.

Nuytten says that the problem with the suit is not in achieving depth; it is a problem of getting the suit to work in such high pressures. He says that the exosuit is similar to a spacesuit in maneuverability. The wrist is the suit’s smallest joint, but it  is capable of withstanding 6 tons of atmospheric pressure without having a problem. Freshman Evan Charles says, “The amazing thing about the suit is that its smallest joint can be fine under that much atmospheric pressure.” This makes it the most important joint when it comes to underwater excavation because excavation without it would be extremely difficult.

The suit is 6.5 feet tall, made of hard metals, weighing 530 pounds. It comes with 1.6 horsepower thrusters to propel the diver any way he or she pleases. The suit explores the ocean’s depths with its highly advanced technology and maneuverability. Sophomore Josh McCorquodale says, “If I could afford the suit, I would undoubtedly buy it just to explore so deep underwater. Who knows what I could find down there?”

If the suit’s pilot is in a life threatening situation, the surface operator can take control of the suit and fly it to the surface. The suit also does not require a pilot to be in it. It can function entirely remote controlled. Consistently it has explored the ocean’s depths for quite some time. For example, the suit has been used to descend 400 feet to the 2,000 year old Antikythera shipwreck off a Greek island in the Aegean Sea. It has also been used to take samples and conduct imaging studies of the animals that live in The Canyons, a region off the New England coast. The continental shelf plunges to depths of more than 10,000 feet there. This invention may truly solve all deep ocean mysteries.