Millbrook students are rowing competitively

Bridget Ulrich

Rowing in the Southeast Region Regatta, members of the Triangle Rowing Club push themselves to medal. Millbrook students, junior Michael Pryor and sophomores Jonathan Underkoffler and Kendall Hart are participating in the Triangle Rowing Club.

Alex McCloskey, Staff Reporter

Rowing requires time, energy, and dedication just as every other sport does. Junior Michael Pryor and sophomores Kendall Hart and Jonathan Underkoffler participated recently in the Southeast Region Regatta. They left Thursday, May 12th in the afternoon on a bus to Sarasota, Florida. Continuing their trip Friday, their whole team worked hard all day to prepare for the competitive weekend ahead. There were five boats in total that medaled on their team at regionals; four of which were bronze and one of which was gold.

The Millbrook rowers on the team have put in a lot of work and report that the sport is very time consuming. Practicing two and a half hours a day for six months out of the year, rowers on this team do not have it easy. Junior Michael Pryor says, “I like rowing because it is a team sport that requires everyone to cross the finish line. I also love the bonds built between rowers because of the great attitudes. It is also a great workout because it works out every part of your body.” Rowing is a commitment just like any other sport and the difficulty has risen with how many people are starting to row. There are roughly 100 members participating in the Triangle Rowing Club currently. Sophomore Kendall Hart mentions that when he joined the team there were very few people, particularly boys, which made it a lot easier than it is now to get into a good boat in races.

Millbrook rowers plan to continue rowing in the future, even if that is not competitively.  Kendall Hart says, “So practices really vary. We can’t get a good indication of what we’ll do until we get there. But usually our coach will have us warm up by rowing one lap around the lake at around 50 to 70 percent pressure.” He also mentions that there is technique work which consists of drills. Coach Schaffer will also have them do 2,000 meter pieces at race pressure which is the same distance as their races are in the spring season. Rowing means a lot to all participating on this team and they will put in the work necessary to become great.