Rainbow flags wave high in RDU

As the Pride Parade marches its way down the streets, crowds of all kinds of people wave their flags in honor of love. Just last weekend, North Carolina held its annual Pride Festival; a celebration of love, acceptance, and equality.

Kathy Willins

Emma McDonald, Staff Reporter

On Saturday, September 24, the Raleigh-Durham area held its 32nd annual pride parade at Duke University. The festival, running four days, included dinner, desserts, pre-pride activities, and much more. Students from colleges such as UNC, NC State, and Duke showed their support for the LGBT+ community by hanging colorful flags outside houses and college statues. However, the Pride Festival is much more than just a parade and floats. People of all different ages and ethnic groups showed up to Duke for a fun day filled with food, games, music, and entertainment. The four day festival also included free street concerts, coffee, karaoke, and influential speakers, such as NC Rep. Chris Sgro, a Greensboro democrat and NC’s first openly gay legislator. Another major attraction of the festival besides the parade is the pride 5K, a 3 mile race to show support for those in the LGBT+ community.
Gay marriage was legalized on June 26, 2015. This date marked an indescribable accomplishment for Americans all over the country. However, there are protestors at the pride parade who are still against gay marriage and have no intentions of hiding it. These protestors bordered the perimeter of the parade holding signs that read, “You deserve hell,” and “You need Jesus.” Participants and watchers of the parade tried to ignore such signs, but the passing of HB2 has made that a fairly difficult task to do. North Carolinians used the Pride Festival as a way to help repeal HB2, giving speeches and making signs to let politicians know how they feel. With many concerts and sporting events being cancelled due to HB2, the LGBT+ community is hoping for some political action to take place.
Pride is not just for gay and transgender rights, but also for other political and crucial standpoints, such as gun control, Black Lives Matter, and women’s rights. Tents were set up all over to provide information on such topics. Additionally, there was also a night festival, which included night clubs, bars, and other small activities throughout the streets. Citizens showed up to the festival in bright, neon colors, wearing accessories such as tutus, hats, and glitter face paint.
Millbrook has its very own LGBT+ community, participating in events such as the Day of Silence and hosting GSA meetings. Ms. Van Wagnen, the advisor of Millbrook’s GSA, feels strongly about the support the club provides. “GSA is important for everyone at Millbrook, whether or not students are members of the club. Research suggests that all students who attend schools with a GSA are less likely to suffer from depression, and have higher self-esteem in general.” Kelly Schultz, a senior and part of the LGBT+ community at Millbrook, also mentioned her personal feelings towards the role pride continues to play in her life: “Pride has made me feel accepted, like I’m not the only one with these types of feelings. Although there are those few people who look at you strange when you are walking down the street holding your partner’s hand, you have to remember that that is their problem. Have pride.” Especially during the years before being gay, bisexual, or transgender was accepted throughout a majority of the world, pride was, and continues to be, a support system for those all over the world.