Was Apollo 11 a giant leap for mankind?

Wikipedia

Standing proud after planting the American Flag into the surface of the the moon, Apollo 11 mission team is the first to walk on its surface. 45 years later, some theorists are still pushing the claim that the moon landing was a hoax.

Emma McDonald, Staff Reporter

During the Cold War, rival countries America and the USSR competed in the Space Race. Tensions were high, and both countries were doing anything to prove themselves. That being said, theorists believe the US was desperate enough to beat the USSR that they would fake a moon landing. With the USSR already having launched multiple satellites into space, America was losing; theorists say NASA had no other choice but to fake it. Most would agree that there was not enough technological advances to accomplish such a thing in 1969, but Stanley Kubrick’s 1968 film 2001: A Space Odyssey leads people to believe otherwise. This sci-fi film makes theorists believe that there was indeed the advanced technology needed to stage the Apollo 11 mission and that Kubrick was in on it. One of the more common claims is the waving American flag. The moon has a very, very thin layer of atmosphere, and by no means should a flag be able to wave on its surface. NASA has denied this theory, saying the pressure from pushing the flag into the ground caused the fabric to move.

Another well-known claim that supports theorists’ views is that no crater was formed once the spaceship landed on the moon. Theorists claim that if the Apollo 11 module really had landed on the moon, an impact crater would have formed under it. After studying photographs, it has led most conspiracy theorists to believe the lunar module was placed. A very easy claim to understand is the lack of stars present in the photos of the moon landing. Since no clouds accumulate on the moon, stars should be extremely visible. Naturally, NASA fired back, claiming the quality of the photographs washes out the visibility of the stars.

Theorists do not stop there. Ever heard of the ‘C’ rock? As captured in photographs, a rock with the letter ‘C’ engraved on it is present. Many believe this was actually a prop, (the ‘C’ as a marking), that was accidentally flipped during the shooting. NASA’s claim is that a photographer placed the letter purposely as a joke. The final claim that leads many theorists to so strongly believe this conspiracy is the mysterious object visible in the reflection of one of the astronaut’s helmet. They claim this object is hanging from some rope or wire, making it seem like a film set.

Sophomore Andrea Shealey claims, “I believe it was fake. There’s too much evidence to say any different.” On the contrary, sophomore Blake Whitmore believes otherwise. “I think it’s real. Why would they fake something like that?” says Blake.

Theorists continue to fight their way to the truth behind the moon landing. According to a 1999 poll that asked 1,061 adults 18 plus, 6% believed it was staged, 89% said it was not, and 5% had no opinion. A more recent poll conducted in Texas between 2005-2006 found that more than a quarter of Americans ages 18-25 have some doubt about the moon landing. Whether or not NASA faked the moon landing can be justified, theorists will continue to fight for their claim.