Raleigh gets its green on for St.Patrick’s Day

Commons.wikamedia.org

Walking the streets, parade goers celebrate Saint Patrick’s day by wearing festive costumes. This is just one of the many ways that Saint Patrick’s day is celebrated.

Emily Willis, Staff Reporter

Saint Patrick’s Day is a cultural and religious celebration held on March 17 every year to commemorate Saint Patrick and the arrival of Christianity in Ireland. In addition, individuals celebrate the heritage and culture of the Irish in general. Saint Patrick’s Day was made an official Christian feast day in the early 17 Century and is observed by the Catholic Church and the Anglican Communion. Celebration involve public parades, festivals, and the wearing of green attire or shamrocks. Christians also attend church services and observe Lenten restrictions on eating and drinking alcohol.

St. Patrick is the beloved patron Saint of Ireland. The Irish were famous for spinning exaggerated tales, so there are many tales written about St. Patrick. It is known that St. Patrick was born in Britain and that at the age of sixteen was captured by Irish raiders who attacked his family’s estate. He was then transported to Ireland where he was held captive for six years, living a secluded, lonely life as a shepherd.  It was then that he became a devout Christian, embracing his religion for consolation. It is believed that in a dream God spoke to him urging him to leave Ireland, so he did. Walking nearly 200 miles, Patrick escaped to Britain and undertook serious religious training.

After fifteen years of studying religious practices, Patrick was ordained as a priest and sent to Ireland. His mission was to minister to Christians, to convert the Irish, then pre-dominantly pagans, to Christianity. Due to the fact that Patrick was familiar with the Irish language and culture from his years of captivity, he chose to incorporate Irish ritual and symbols into his teachings rather than to obliterate Irish beliefs. Thus, the celtic cross was born. Patrick superimposed the sun, a powerful Irish symbol, onto the traditional Christian cross so that the result would seem more natural to the Irish. The Celtic cross is a symbol that most Irish men and women of descent and natives still use today.

The history of St Patrick’s Day in America, however, begins with Irish soldiers serving in the British army. It is a tale of Irish patriotism and evolving political power. That very first parade in New York City not only helped the homesick Irish soldiers connect with their roots through familiar traditional Irish music typically featuring bagpipes and drums, but also helped them to connect with one another. Over the years as nearly a million Irish immigrants fled to America in the wake of the Great Potato Famine, St Patrick’s Day parades became a display of unity and political strength, as Irish immigrants were frequently victims of prejudice. Soon enough, their numbers were recognized and the Irish soon organized and exerted their political muscle, becoming known as the “Green Machine”. Sophomore Tyler Spencer said, “St. Patrick’s day is pretty cool. I like wearing green and seeing everyone else wear green. Also, there is a lot of green food on that day which is pretty odd, but I love the theme.” This upcoming Saturday, March 11, marks the 24th annual Saint Patrick’s Day parade in downtown Raleigh. The parade begins promptly at 10:00 a.m. It features live music, entertainment and lots of fun food and beverages! So, get out your green and get ready to celebrate!